Building a Small Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mgriffin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

oh and one other thing

i would go 5' wide and not 4'
    much more comfortable

12' long is OK

(4m x 1.5m)

2. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Looks like a good boat to me, might actually go fast. I like the mini tug look.
    thanks alot (really),
    mike

3. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Found the engine I'm gonna use. No, I'm not going to use an outboard, don't like the outboard look on a tugboat. I would rather have an inboard so I could have the exshaust pipe behind the cabin like a reglular tug.
    http://www.ameerrajkot.com/htm/engines/cae_55.html

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your draft will increase dramatically, your steering will become very sluggish in comparison to an outboard and you'll need a transmission, plus you can't easily remove it, like an outboard. Those engines are also very heavy for their output, very old technology being used there. Consider a Hatz portable instead if you must go diesel. You'll still need a transmission and have crappy steering but you will not have such a weight penalty.

You can hide an outboard in a well and/or a box so it's out of sight.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks Paul, very nice little tug! I think thats a perfect match with Mike´s needs and skills. And I agree with the outboard.

Regards
    Richard

6. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

ok. I'll stay outboard. (aww!!!) Thanks 4 the boat design. looks like the boat I was thinking of!
    Thanks,

7. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Do I use regular window glass or plexiglass for the tug? does it really matter?
    thanks,

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Use Plexi it´s lighter and for a river it does not matter.
    Regards
    Richard

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I prefer glass, but not just any glass, laminated glass, just like the stuff they use in car windshields. Yep, it's heavier then acrylic or polycarbonate, but it's usually cheaper. More importantly, you can clean it and it doesn't "weather" like the plastics do. Plastics tend to scratch when you clean them and they discolor with age and UV exposure. Laminated glass (available at any glass shop) is available in a few different tints too.

10. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

O.k. Thanks! I'll start building it as soon as possible. (a few more months)
    thanks!

11. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

This proves there are tugboats smaller than mine. https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=525
    I like the stitch and glue construction idea. might use that on my boat. And I'll use window glass PAR.
    Don't like plexiglass that weathers and scratches easily.

12. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I want to be able to fish in my boat. Will that type of boat be good for holding a few salty fish? Maybe even a hammerhead or a bullshark....
    You know, since I'm going to live by the ocean, draft doesn't really matter...So I MIGHT go inboard. I don't really care about the tranny. I can get one.
    Thanks,

13. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

14. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Oh yeah. Saw that one while ago, looks to expensive though.

15. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Less than $2,300.00 in wood and F/B glass over where I live. Plus engine and drive and to save on that build in a used outboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.