Building the Mayflower

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Mayflower2020, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Mayflower2020

Mayflower2020 New Member

We're a charity based in Harwich, the home port of the Mayflower. We're building a life size working replica of the Mayflower and I thought some of you guys might be interested to see our progress. At the moment we have the keel, deadwood and sternpost built.

If you're interested in following our progress as we build the Mayflower, please come along and have a look at our blog http://theshipsblog.co.uk/category/the-build/

Please feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

2. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Mayflower 2020

Very nice blog, great pictures and detail. Just to let you know that the designer of the Harwich Mayflower is a regular on this forum. Yes, it is me!

If you have any technical questions or need some background to the design I will try to answer them when I get a minute.

Thanks again for a great website, keep it up.

Regards,
    Graham Westbrook
    Naval Architect
    Southampton UK

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Any plans for how the vessel will be used post-2020?

4. Mayflower2020

Mayflower2020 New Member

Well hello gwboats, that was a nice surprise. Glad you like the blog, I'm trying to document the build and make it interesting for readers. Hopefully I'm achieving that and I'd love to take you up on your offer of background info on the design, I think it'd make for a really interesting blog post. I'll get in touch shortly. Thanks for the offer.

DCockey. As far as I'm aware, the Project intends the Harwich Mayflower to be a working boat. Basically an ambassador for Harwich and Essex. It will make regular trips along the UK coast and the Thames as well as travelling along the east coast of the USA where it will be used as a training vessel to help disadvantaged children. I believe (and I stand to be corrected by the designer!) that it hasn't been designed to just sit in a dock as a tourist attraction.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

7. Mayflower2020

Mayflower2020 New Member

Manie B. Thanks, it is indeed a big project and hopefully the blog will follow it all the way through :)

hoytedow. I've heard of that, but from what I've read there's no concrete evidence as to the origins of the timber used, but it is a great story!

8. hoytedow

It had to have come from somewhere. As likely the Mayflower as not, I suppose.

9. hoytedow

Any updates for us?

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

There seems to have been a few stories regarding the original Mayflower. One in particular questions the actual first landfall as not Cape Cod but Renews Newfoundland . This apparently having been brought to question after some extensive research by Joseph R. Smallwood in his highly acclaimed published Encyclopedias of Newfoundland. Considering there were over 20 vessels of the same name during that time it took considerable research to even nail down exactly where the Pilgrims Mayflower was built. While I lean toward the Cape Cod landfall I am not totally convinced mainly because of a personal by chance meeting with one of the claimed descendants of the Pilgrims . This lady ran a small used bookstore in St. Augustine Florida. In casual conversation I asked her where the Mayflower first made landfall without relating the Smallwood info. Surprisingly she replied from her research, contrary to popular belief being Cape Cod it was actually Renews Newfoundland. It is possibly that these sources could be confusing the many Mayflowers but Newfoundland is geographically located within the popular east to west sailing route of the time and like Hoyt's barn story this one also had to come from somewhere.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Getting back on the construction track I commend you on what seems to be a no holds barred for perfection in your woodworking craftsmanship. On another point and relating to an earlier but similar type hull ; One of the biggest complaints of John Cabot's Matthew replica was that she rolled terribly even in the slightest chop causing much discomfort and sea sickness among her crew. This being equated with her barrel shaped hull which seems to be typical of the era. Have you any plans to compensate for this by installing roll stabilizers. While this parts from true replication of the vessel, in reality due to safety regulations along with crew and passenger comfort no modern replica is exact. One inexpensive but effective type comes to mind that might just fit the bill. Some years ago I helped an old German friend of mine in Toms River N.J. install (bolt in place)what he referred to as hydro shocks of his own design on his old style heavy cabin cruiser. Basically they were nothing more than downsized wooden bilge keels pierced by a series of round holes.He explained that in theory the water shooting thru the holes would softened the harshness and extent of the roll much the same as the internal workings of an automotive shock. Apparently after some experimenting with the diameter of the holes he found them very effective with little to no increase in fuel consumption due to induced drag.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the love and care of her owner ---

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Part of me is glad to see some of these replications built, but the other part thinks, they should be careful what they wish for and have a proper vessel designed, that closely mimics the original, but has a much more capable stability curve and comfort aspect to the design. There's just way too many replicas and replications, that have drowned their crews, all in an effort to prove we don't know how to handle these ships, nearly as well as the folks in the glory days of sail did.

Vessels of the generally accepted class the Mayflower was, typically drowned 50% or more of their crews, in an age when they knew and handled them well. The comment that comes to mind is "are you feeling lucky kid - well are 'ya", because these things where absolute death traps, for a huge percentage of those at sea in them. Now, with modern engines, navigation and weather prediction we should be able to decrease this percentage, but damn, how much and does their insurance company know of their documented history? How about the wives and mothers of the blind that will sail this puppy?

13. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Harwich Mayflower Design

To put everyone's mind at rest (I hope), the design for the Harwich Mayflower ship has been developed to be a sailing ship with good performance (as much as a square rig will allow) and be a safe vessel.
    A primary aim of the project is to produce a ship that will be able to undertake multiple Atlantic crossings in a seaworthy manner.
    To this end, the underwater design has been carefully studied and has departed from a pure replica in being less full, especially at the ends.
    Harwich Mayflower will have Germanischer Lloyds as the classification society and safety standards according to MCA LY3, hence the design and build will be to some of the best standards existing.
    As the designer, I am fully aware of the responsibilities a project such as this carries and will endeavour to help produce a safe and stunning ship for the town of Harwich and the UK.

Best Regards,
    Graham Westbrook

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What kind of fasteners are you using?

15. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Harwich Mayflower

For all the structural bolting (that is for joining all the timbers, planking etc) the plan is to use silicon bronze CW116C.
    In way of and for holding the ballast it will be nickel aluminium bronze CC333G.
    Coincidently. just clearing the exact bolt spec and requirements with GL.

Cheers,
    Graham Westbrook