Kayak Build

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by weissmarine, Jul 30, 2008.

1. weissmarine

weissmarine Junior Member

What is a good way to insure your glass separates from a fiberglass mold? Preperation? Releases?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

both ,, doing BOTH right is the ONLY way to get a release.

3. weissmarine

What kind of mold release should I use when I have a fiberglass mold? What is the best to insure a good separation? Thanks.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

5. weissmarine

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying build a surf kayak. Would you use cloth or mat for the first layer, and what do you prefer for additonal layers? How many should I go? What resin do you prefer, poly or epoxy? Appreciate any advice. Do you build boats? Thanks again.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

weissmarine,

Just buy some wax from the local grp supplier, it is put on with a soft cloth, only do less than a yard at a time, rub it off, finish the whole boat, then do it again. If the mould has not been used for a while, say 12 months, do it 3 or 4 times. It appears that you are getting nowhere, but you are impregnating the mould with wax, and it really does do the job.

Yes epoxy is better all round than polyesters, except for cost, but for such a little boat it means bugger all.
    The first layer in the mould is gelcoat, put iton about 1/2 a mm thick, then follow up with a glass tissue, do this when the gelcoat has gone off, say late in the afternoon, then next day do a single layer of 300g csm, then put in 1 layer of core mat, then one more 300g csm, and that will do for a small boat. It will be quite strong as the core mat goves the laminate beam.

7. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I've used those fancy-schmancy release agents, but my favorite is regular old mold release wax. Like Landlubber says, wax repeatedly. I use different hands on different applications, and wax in a different pattern each time. Part of the reason for multiple coats is to insure that no spot gets missed.

If the mold is new, in addition to waxing thoroughly (and/or using other mold releases) apply the gelcoat hot (catalyzed to the max), then after it cures, blow it all out with your air hose. In the rare event your first part sticks, it's better to lose just the gelcoat than the whole darned part. Easier to fix, too.

8. weissmarine

the1much, landlubber, and tinhorn really appreciate the advice. From what I got from you all 1) preperation is the key 2) a good mold Release agent/3 to 4applications 3) gelcoat 1/2 mm thick 4) cloth -mat -cloth with an epoxy resin - probably will use west systems. We shall see how it goes. Again thank you! Weiss Marine. www.weissmarine.com

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

10. weissmarine

Thanks Sam Sam, l will look into it.

11. tiggertrax

tiggertrax Tiggertrax

Newbie but there is looks to be allot of good info on manufacture sites. A link such as this .
    http://www.fiberglasswarehouse.com/gelcoat_application.asp
    I have seen many like this so i don't believe it to be bi est different product same concept. looking at the same thing thats why i joined 1st post.looks like a wealth of knowledge in one spot. good luck

12. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

This may sound strange but I have used petroleum jelly with great success. Not only is it cheap but nothing sticks to it.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

um,,,,"strange" isnt the word i came up with,,,hehe :D;)

14. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

I can't help it Jim, that stuff always seems to be around for one reason or another ... :)