1/4 section pipe as hull form for cat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ASM, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Dear all,

It has been a while since I have been here, and still no boat build.....
    I have got a new idea for hull form, as I am not a naval architect, maybe someone can shoot on it. The idea is to use 1/4 pipe sections to form a hull, 2 for the cat of course. The sections could be made in lengths whatever needed, the topsides can be straight and the keel section could be widened if more floatation is needed. The bow is going to be a straight bow, wavepiercing type. Anything wrong in this idea ?

Reason is simplicity, premade sections and cheap.....

See attached pic:

Attached Files:

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

You will have to deal with the issue of the best practicable way to have it come to a point at the bow, as well as the fact that there is a lot of wetted area for not much buoyancy. As a planing hull cat it is not going to generate a lot of lift.

3. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Thanks ! Yes I did think about the transition of the bow to the sections, maybe extend the keel and add a panel like from bow, then create a cone section and split that in 4, add that to the bow panel...

But for (semi) displacement speeds, say max 12 knots, would this work or should I go to simple boxy hulls, like the bolger Tenessee / Wyoming type, maybe with an added keelbox ?

grts

4. johneck

johneck Senior Member

I don't see any benefit in this over a simple tapered rectangular hull; and probably this shape will have higher drag.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I am not a fan of the simple rectangular form, but this is worse. Be sure to use a centerboard/ daggerboard/ leeboard for decent sailing.

Or just go buy an old beach cat. Nacra (first choice for me), Hobie, Prindle.

It will be a lot cheaper and you get everything to use if you really need to make your own hulls.

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd turn the pipe sections the other way, if anything.

Click my handle for my gallery of simple Solidworks geometry and 'quarter pipes' for cat hull shape.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Reverse the pipe arrangement (convex).

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

This is neither an easier or cheaper way to make a boat hull - you waste a lot of effort building stuff that you have to hack off and rejoin somehow.

If you want the cheapest, easiest way to build a boat hull, look up some 'stitch and glue' builds on YouTube.

Developed Panels work for plywood and/or foam and glass, and even metal.

My advice would be, if you have never built a cat, try a proven design first, and avoid the mental overkill of trying to invent something with no experience.

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Cylindrical and conical sections can be employed, but you really have to have a clue about how to employ these shapes, particularly in metals, where "talking to it" is a lot more difficult than other materials.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.