Approximate cost of a one-off 29er like boat?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by 1gerry, Jul 21, 2013.

1. 1gerry

1gerry Junior Member

Hello all,

I am new in this forum.
    I have been doing lots of research recently, and I would like to start building a sailing skiff, similar to a 29er, or a javelin (http://javelins.org/Technical/buildyourown/buildingIndex.html)

Can anyone give me some kind of indication of how much I could expect to spend to build a complete boat like this in plywood(rig and sails included)? And what would be the cost if I were to make it in fiberglass?

I am under the impression that a marine plywood boat would be faster, easier and cheaper to build than a foam core fiberglass one. Is this correct?

I've also read somewhere that it would take something like 500hrs to build the hull. Is this correct?

Side note. I am in Canada. I have a little bit of fiberglass and woodworking experience. I am an industrial designer, so I am quite good at figuring out little construction problems.

Thanks to all!
    Regards

Gerry

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.