OSB stitch and glue boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by And-Con, Feb 24, 2010.

1. And-Con

And-Con Junior Member

Recently, I was in a local marina, and saw this gorgeous boat, Miss Osb. She was bar none the prettiest boat in the marina. From more than 10 feet her hull sides appeared to be burled walnut, but then upon a closer look, they were oriented strand board, finished to a mirror shine. My jaw dropped.

So with that said, I was wondering what ya'll would think of using osb for a stitch and glue boat. I would most likely pick a kayak, but at this point I'm still up in the air about the actual vessel. I have a set of plans for Tornado, a stitch and glue catamaran, that have been staring at me for a while, just waiting for me to bite and start trying to build.

I'm told osb can be had in sizes as small as 1/4 inch, which would be pretty good for my intentions, but I have yet to find any osb less than 1/2 inch locally. The hull would be glassed over, so I'm no more concerned about water intrusion than I am with any other cored boat, is that foolish? What other prep would be necessary to the wood? I've never tried making osb shine. Actually if someone had mentioned it before I saw Miss Osb, I would had compared it to putting make up on a pig. Weight wise I think it would be on par with traditional plywood, and the same for strength. I have never tried scarfing osb, but I think it would work like plywood. I think it would be a generally comparable material, but have a little more homework to do.

Is this a crazy idea, or is it just crazy enough to work?

Also, for those interested in seeing her, http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/78476-post1151.html has some great pics of her, sorry about linking to another forum, its the best pics google gave me

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

My experience with OSB (non marine) is that any moisture will make the stuff swell like crazy, and will dis-integrate the boards fast. It is not much better than MDF material.

Also, from a structural point of view I am not too keen on this stuff.

Personally I would definately not use it, or at least not use it in anything floating, and which cost more than 2 days to make.

I guess liberal amounts of epoxy will probably be able to hold the stuff together in a marine environment, but if putting so much effort in a boat, I would have used something more durable.

edit:
    Just re-read the info on the other forum. It is a fiberglass boat, covered in a very thin sheat of OSB. (as the owner is making the stuff, he probably made some very thin boards for that, just to save weight, as the boat is trailerable as well). I once did the same with a fiberglass boat, covering it in mahogany. Turned out very, very nice.

But I can stick to my words: The OSB is just used as a gimmick, nothing structural, nothing important when damaged.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

I don't want to but have to admit that the boat is striking.
    It holds a fastener as well as plywood, is stronger and "engineered" - more uniform. When plywood gets wet, it gets wet. When OSB gets wet, the edges swell and it stays wet for a long time and will be quicker to rot if wet - particularly if ash or poplar are the woods used. It is a little heavier than plywood.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I suspect that the gentleman with the OSB company made the boat specifically to address the concerns brought on by numerous massive lawsuits brought by homeowners in moist climates - thumbing his nose, so-to-speak. Clever marketing, IMO, but one had better be very generous with the epoxy on this build. I'd like to take a chain saw to the ugliest, most incongruent, swim step/ surface drive cover I have ever seen.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I don't knoiw. You can make a boat out of potato chips too I guess. It's even possible that it would hold up for a season or two if you don't hit anything too hard.
    I would expect the owner owned an epoxy company, not an OSB company.

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

LOL,
    Will wonders never cease? Evidently epoxy is even more miraculous than previously thought. OSB is a wonderful product if you view it as science making carpentry more readily accessable. As a sheet goods substitute for plywood it works well. The scientists in the lab tell us poor ignorant carpenters in the field that it is just as good as plywood. We giggle as we tear chunks of it apart, breaking it over our knee, fitting scraps into garbage cans. When it gets wet for an extended time it expands, yet unlike plywood it is reluctant to shrink back to size, becoming somewhat fluffy. I find it does not hold most fasteners quite as well as plywood or lumber.

As Mark said that is a mighty fine looking boat but it is a bit of a freak show. The hull material was chosen for dramatic effect and publicity not superior structural ability in my most modest opinion. Amazing boat though.

6. And-Con

And-Con Junior Member

So after some thought on this project I have put this on the back burner. If i were to build a boat from osb, I would not build the catamaran(20 feet) but rather something much smaller, perhaps a kayak or canoe. I am tending to agree with the advice here that I should be hesitant to put any serious amount of time, effort, or money into such an unproven material. Also, where was the information about the actual build found, I riled through that forum for a while(even becoming a member so I could use the search function) and never found anything substantial about her other than that she can be had for a measly 10 million. Finally, I wholeheartedly agree with mark about that being the ugliest swim platform, although I do believe it is designed like that to allow for the reverse scoops on the jet drive to rotate up. If i do end up doing anything further with this idea I will post my results here.

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

Potato chips!

9. magwas

magwas Senior Member

cardboard paper?
    Same structural abilities, even more cheaper, can be worked by lighter tools, you are not bound by silly geometric constraints like developability and such, and the kids can draw nice figures on it before epoxying.

10. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

This boat was featured in a recent Wooden Boat Magazine article and the OSB was a special type used with WBP glue. The owner was president of a company that makes OSB. It was openly admitted the hull was heavier then necessary, I'd imagine by a lot, but this was taken up in the design.

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

She is for sale............

http://www.boatcan.com/showboat.php?ad=1242160836

‘‘ .... Unique composite OSB/Wood/Epoxy hull system with structural fibreglass & OSB .... ’’

Regards,
    Angel

PS
    Like And-Con already said; ‘‘she can be had for a measly 10 million’’ :rolleyes:

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Ten million bucks.....

From what I can tell, the carpentry looks pretty impressive. Certainly a unique vessel, and a twin Cat C32 / Doen jet powertrain is something to be reckoned with (40 knots?!). But I'd say she's mainly a showpiece- meant to draw attention to the owner and his company's products. A capable boat, perhaps- but a capable (albeit simpler and less fancy) boat of this size could be had for a fifth of the price.

OSB can certainly be made to look pretty neat (this boat being a case in point, and I have a desk made of the stuff that looks OK). For the reasons others have already pointed out, I don't trust it around water, though. (Or on concrete formwork, or on a roof, or in many other applications where I've seen it abused.)

13. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Gimmick.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

OSB is rather heavy because of the glue saturation. The price is not much better than plywood. Overall, I can't see a good advantage.

15. Herman

Herman Senior Member

So we can conclude that, assuming the OSB did not cost him a penny, to protect that OSB from the elements, costs roughly 8 million USD. I love OSB...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.