Building a pocket transom?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by water baby, Apr 9, 2007.

1. water baby

water baby New Member

I need to repower my "old reliable", a 17' 1973 Glasstron v-hull that I dearly love. The transom is low enough for its 20" shaft motor that water sometimes slops in, especially with the stern to the waves. Most of the suitable motors that I have found have a 25" shaft, and will not fit the low transom. I like to go in skinny water as well as out a little deeper.
    Flats boats utilize a pocket transom to hold the stern up when off plane. I thought about building a pocket transom on this boat since I already may need to dig into the transom to build it up for a longer motor and also I'm tired of wet feet and the excitement of watching water come into the boat. Besides, I would like to install a jack plate and that will exacerbate the problem with the weight shifted even farther back.
    I have done 'glass work in the past and have the time. Is this "doable" and is there any info on this out there? Is there a better way?
    PS As always money is a factor!
    Thanks,
    water baby

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.