building a PM38 a few questions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rocco611, Jul 30, 2020.

1. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

Here are some more pics

Attached Files:

clmanges and bajansailor like this.
  2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

WOW, I hope you are going to keep at least the top deck in natural wood varnish of some kind.
    I'm thinking the thing to do would be first apply a dark brown epoxy over everything sorta like grouting tile, to fill all the joints and gaps and make everything 'pop' like black outlines on cartoons, then a much lighter clear amber finish on the wood's surface, but I don't know about fine wood finish, much less about on boats.
    You're going to be outclassing boats costing over a million in looks, and lets face it thats a big part of certain aspects of boating. Plus it looks like it will be still a very practical multi-purpose all around boat.
    Don't be surprised if some rich dude wants to buy it and doesn't want to take "no" for an answer.

Plans seem to call for simple plywood on deck but you did some sort of strip. What you do exactly? How keeping the thin strips together?

3. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

I decked the boat with 1/4 plywood then epoxied the 3/16x 2 strips down ,holding them in place with screws in the gaps and fender washers, till the epoxy set. the dark mahogany around the edges is some mahogany I had stored since high school over 40 years ago . the light colored mahogany is Philippine mahogany , which isnt really mahogany at all, learning a lot about wood as I go. I am going to finish the deck with automotive clear and caulk the seams, I was thinking white automotive seam sealer, but now that you mention black I will try a test piece that way and see how it looks. thought about mixing some black color into epoxy and adding some metal flake. I plan on painting the boat a dark candy blue with small flake in the base coat. if someone wants to buy it, I would be fine with that. after buying an outboard I would be pleased if I just broke even, on this project .I plan on building an inboard runabout when I retire next year out of sapele , looks more like mahogany than the Philippine mahogany I have been using. I also hope to have a large band saw by then, which will make re sawing boards much easier.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.