UK viewers required - plans approved for retail production?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bigbowen, Apr 17, 2011.

1. bigbowen

bigbowen Junior Member

Im not entirely sure if Im in the correct forum here but Im sure someone will point it out if Im not.

My question is,
    Are plans from proffessional designers or design companies (the first ones that spring to mind are selway-fisher among others) approved for retail production,
    I understand that they are primarily aimed at one off builds, but would they meet the usual standards for retail sale, (and Im not just thinking of selway fisher here)
    Any ideas, as usual, much appreciated
    Sam

2. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

It depends on the designer, but most sets of plans that I've seen for sale are for a one-off build - there are usually some words to that effect on the plans package somewhere, granting the purchaser the right to build a single boat from the plans. I know that the plans I have purchased in the past have always had the "only one boat can be built from these plans" clause in some form or another. The exception would be plans that the designer has put into the public domain, with the intent of allowing anyone to build the design, but there aren't too many designs like this about, plus you'd rarely get any form of support from the designer for free plans, I'd have thought.

I would imagine that most designers would welcome someone putting a design of theirs into production, subject to some sort of royalty being agreed and assuming that the design isn't already subject to an exclusive agreement with another manufacturer. I would imagine that the royalty fee per boat would be somewhere around the plans cost for a one-off build, but would guess that this would be negotiable to some degree.

Jeremy

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Colvic seem to manage it some how.

A friend built a Colvic 65 Swan copy. I doubt if that could have been a "one off"

But its not a Swan, it will always be a Colvic!! call it a Swan in writing and you might be in a spot of bother.

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Boats built from any plans to be sold retail in the EU must meet ISO standards for craft of their size, type, construction material, intended passenger load and voyage class, etc. As this requirement is a fairly recent development and many thousands of designs were drawn before these requirements came into effect, the probability is that most designs never considered these requirements......not that they couldn't be modified or revised to meet the requirements.

There are firms and naval architects which specialize in this type of work....

5. bigbowen

bigbowen Junior Member

Tad and Jeremy,

Thanks very much, its something along the lines of what I had expected but I definately need it confirmed,
    Jeremy your right that most designers approve a single build, but I like your suggestion of speaking to them for production. all very sensible info folks, much obliged ;)

6. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Deaigns in the public domain are generally older or less successful ones that would not suit production for retail. best way to find out is to talk to the designer, but a reputable designer will insist on working with a reputable builder.

7. bigbowen

bigbowen Junior Member

Good point Terry

8. liki

liki Senior Member

J. Mertens from bateau.com will provide you required ISO calculations for their designs for a reasonable fee in case you license at least 5 building rights for a design if I recall correctly. I suspect that most offices would be ready to do the same?

Then there's the loop hole that "vintage designs" at least 50 years old, or published before 1950, or something like that do not require certification.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

In Europe, you need to certify to CE. It is only a formality, however, it makes you liable for any flaws or defects. For example, in case of injury or death you would be responsible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.