Building a hull mold???

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by gbaaron, Sep 26, 2006.

1. gbaaron

gbaaron Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone has done this?
    Take an existing hull, pull a female mold from this hull to then make your own hull. I have done many repaires / rebuilds on older boats and am very familiar with fiberglass repair but I have never built a boat from the ground up. I thought at first I would design and build my own hull but I would rather use a design that has already been proven and tested.

The design would be a 25'-28' non step offshore / performance style V-hull. Similar to the mid to late 80's formulas.

Any info is much appreciated.

2. resurrected

resurrected Junior Member

That is not technically difficult, I don't know how ethical it is...it would be a great deal of labour, material and time. A neighbour in the industrial park here has done this a couple of times for a manufacturer. He has taken an existing production boat and made it longer or shorter to create a new line. Less than half the cost of starting from scratch for the manufacturer.

Why would you want to do this?

3. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

Its commonly called SPLASHING and is basically theft. You can ask the hull design owner for prmission and ( usually ) pay a royalty fee. There were some 'splashes' authorised by Occe Mannefeld of his designs, but the builders do pay for the privledge.

4. gbaaron

gbaaron Junior Member

I tried to delete this but couldn't, I moved this post to the boat design forum, thought it would be a better place to discuss this. Sorry for the confusion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.