Boat Kits?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Kush, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Kush

Kush Junior Member

Hi all, I'm new here :D

I'm interested in building a motor boat, but because this would be my first experience, I want to start with a kit. I'd love a wooden boat, but I'm also trying to keep the cost down, so I may take advantage of more inexpensive materials for this project instead.

My question is regarding kit availability - are there any companies that actually make full kits, either in wood, 'glass, steel, etc.? I've been searching for the past couple of days but have only found full kits for small boats like canoes and row boats.

Any thoughts?

Thanks alot,
    Aaron

2. Kush

Kush Junior Member

Also, assuming I can't find a kit that includes all the material I need, for the style I'm looking for, roughly what is the cost for building your own boat? I've spent the last couple of hours looking over alot of plans (yes, I'm obsessed :p ), and the glen L plans are really amazing looking.

I'll attach a couple of pics of the type of boat I'm looking at, maybe that'll help give you an idea of where I'm coming from. These are all boats built from Glen L plans.
    Thanks again for any help,

Aaron

Attached Files:

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

1 person likes this.
  4. Kush

Kush Junior Member

Cool thanks, I'll check it out. I also found This Site, which has pre-cut plywood kits. They range anywhere from $2000-3000 for the kits (plywood only), depending on the size of the boat. Any idea how this would compare to buying the material and cutting it to size myself?

Thanks again,
    Aaron

5. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

You can buy and cut by yourself and save money if you are skilled enough. The problem uses to be the lofting, not the cutting. In my opinion, unless you want to learn the hard way, probably buying kits is a nice way to begin.

6. Kush

Kush Junior Member

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking also. I'd love to cut the wood myself, but I think it'll just be easier and more gratifying in the long run if I start with the right pieces from the begining.

Other than the site I posted a link to above, are there any other companies that sell plywood kits?

EDIT - just saw that Clark Craft sells full kits, I'll spend some time looking through their products. Any others?

7. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

8. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I work with Morten Olesen at www.boatplans.dk . I know a couple places in the U.S. that would quote you a precut plywood kit.

If this is your first time building, I'd suggest building something simpler, and smaller first. A canoe, kayak, dingy, etc. What you spend in time, materials, and money on the small project, you'll save on the bigger project. Not to mention you'll also do better work. There is a learning curve.

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

What the hell!!

I didn't know that, jem.

Heh, it's weird having an english word ending in a .dk-url.

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

11. Kush

Kush Junior Member

Thanks alot for all the suggestions! I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a kit (which would be easier) or cut my own wood (which would be a better learning process and alot cheaper - more selections of plans without kits as well), but I definately have alot to choose from.

I'm leaning towards getting a pre-cut kit, simply because it will be alot easier to assemble for a first-timer like me. My girlfriend's step-father is a boat builder by trade, but even with his help I think it will turn out much better if I don't have to measure and cut my own wood.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Aaron

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I did my current boat from Bolger/Payson plans back in grade 8-9. The lofting/cutting part isn't that intimidating if you're patient. If you don't want to loft, many designers sell full-size patterns to trace onto the plywood. Cutting your own, I think, is a better learning experience and a lot more fun. And everyone customizes things a bit anyway. Just make sure you measure right, then measure twice more, before you cut.

13. nickbranson

nickbranson Branson Boat Design

Branson Boats Steel Kits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can help with regard to steel boats. Sizes range from 34-76ft. Types include:- Trawler yachts, Dutch Barges, Schooners and motorboats. The designs are traditional in character. Can supply as a pre-cut kit here in the UK or send DXF cutting files to have the kit cut locally. www.dutch-barges.net

14. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Wow, that's a nice one, Nick :)

15. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I have discussed with Nexus Marine the possibility of making a kit for their new 23 footer, www.nexusmarine.com

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.