Is this weatherworn vinale salvageable

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by the brain, Aug 15, 2017.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Is this weatherworn vinale salvageable

I’m wanting a nicer helm chair these are for sale and look comfortable but may need complete recover or can the dried-up vinale be cleaned/reconditioned ?

I don’t observe mold/cracks on vinale.

Seller says front wood under bolster is rotten I could swap in new wood my main concern
    Is how much time will it take for vinale to crack I think brand new seats would be less costly than recovering?

anyone know brand name of these seats and if replacment covers are available
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Rub some Penetrol into a small, worst looking area on the vinyl and see how pliable it is after a few hours to dry. If you can bend it back over on itself without cracks, it might be worth saving. Usually UV breaks down the vinyl enough that once it looks bad, it's also shot, but sometimes it can be cleaned and have some oils (Penetrol) introduced to rejuvenate it. They have special vinyl "restorers" but Penetrol is all but the same thing and a lot cheaper.

3. the brain

the brain Senior Member

cruised down to Destin,FL to inspect/buy seats it was a gamble that I think paid off.

the majority of the vinyl is still soft (pliable) one seat has a 1/2 way dried out top section it is cracking but not all the way though.
    the other seat looks very nice both are just dirty there isn't any mold what so ever,there is a slite odor.

seller was upfront about the bolsters wood being particalley rotten and it's missing hardware 4 bolts attaching bolsters wood to hinge. easy fix for me, he also informed me about the head rest sliders being rusted I won't be using the head rest anyway because majority of time I sit sideways w/ arm resting on the lowback seat.

I puchased this stuff

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-bri...7842&wl11=online&wl12=172281523&wl13=&veh=sem

at the Destin walmart for $10. squirted a tad on one seat and it's cleaner this was just a quickie wipe. was thinking of thoughly cleaning w/ high quaility Mcgires car soap and simple green if neede then condition w/ the starbrite.

The man at the bait/fishing store suggested the tiolet/tile cleaner tilex?
    I'll post images of the cleaned seats.

any suggestions on cleaning the rust spot?

is this the Penetrol you suggest to condition the vinly https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flood-Pe...30463&wl11=online&wl12=21987652&wl13=&veh=sem

Thanks Par for excellent advice as usalley.

edit funny thing the Man said these seat came from a newer Starcraft can't remember the model.
    TB

4. the brain

the brain Senior Member

seat cleaned up nicely w/ car soap. dam this seat is comfortable, maynot be so sitting sideways.

swapping rotten bolster wood (this is where slite odor came from) there are 3 pieces of 1/2" wood only one is rotten will use 2 pieces of 3/4" waterproofed marine ply wood.

when bolster is raised the dirty hinge leaves slite rust mark on seat cushion will clean hinge and paint w/ rustolium.

my new footrest will allow me to stand in front of seat.

1.will spary the Starbrite on and let it soak in?

2.The portside armrest is missing a pin/bolt and won't stay up not sure how this armrest is designed to work? or what pin looks like?

3. I want to remove the two black rusted headrest attachments how is this done?

remainer of seat will be at who likes my helm station
    TB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  5. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Fixing bolster where are the drain holes for seat? there is water inside seat I tilted seat and water leaked out inbetween corner seams. the bolster has drains?

Attached Files:

6. the brain

the brain Senior Member

looks like I will add a couple small drain holes to seat bottom (even though this seats inside the cabin and won't get any moisture unless a wet but sits on it).

fixing bolster. looks like I'll have to staple the rear/side of vinale leave the front undone so I can stick a screwdriver on the attachment screw then staple the front.

will regular steel staples be good enough?https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-9-16-Heavy-Duty-Staples-1500-Count-TRA709TCS/36132597

found the armrest pin.

Attached Files:

7. the brain

the brain Senior Member

update the two once dirty then cleaned area's the top and lower sides the dirt has returned not as much as before cleaning.

bolster now has drain holes seat has mount base,next will attach to helm station/tackel drawer

I used regular steel staples.
    TB

Attached Files:

8. the brain

the brain Senior Member

got a link to this Penetrol?
    helm station near completion, my po po will be comfortable.next will fab up sliding footrest.

originale helm seat will be the new fighting chair/cooler or I may use second helm seat stay tuned for my decision

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  9. the brain

the brain Senior Member

initial helm station to high to close to steering wheel will adjust

Attached Files:

10. the brain

the brain Senior Member

adjusted 2" lower still a bit tallish to hop onto like orginale seat.

secured footrest. mite fab a slideout FT.

Attached Files:

11. the brain

the brain Senior Member

adjusted 2" lower still a bit tallish to hop onto, see the side of seat is molded unlike the orginal which flatens right at front corner.

I'm liking the new helm seats extra cushioning it's kindof like having small shock absorbers under my po po in ruff sea's.

now I'm planning how to use the second chair.

I'd like for it to be ontop of the live well just outside portcabin. problem w/ this is the embark/disinbark place and the seat will have to be hinged down to stepon the LW as first step.

edit: I have to say the rear seat looks better on pictures not so much in real life (mainly the top piece vinale) besides the very expensive renptroto suggested earleier

is there a decent vinale softener/conditioner available?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

12. the brain

the brain Senior Member

Been fabbing the tackle drawer w/ plastic and marine plywood original to the vessel.

The plastic is savaged from a older party boat same vessel I got the aft. Flipdown rear seat area, which still needs reinforcing.

Here’s the beginning stages of the drawer as you know it’s designed to tuck under the helm seats pedastile.

I have one of the stainless steel sliders mounted I want to test fit before I glue the drawer together. These sliders are advertised to hold capacity of 75LBs they appear heavey duty.

Notice the aluminum box that’s my keep large stuff in box,( glad to get her off the deck) the tray will sit directly on top I will fab a stick to hold the string.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.