Building a flat bottomed canoe

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by troy2000, Jun 18, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

OK, the Bleu Bayou has a new fishing chair, per Hoyt's suggestion. I bought a 2nd-hand plastic patio chair for a couple of bucks, and cut it down. Since the back has roses molded into it, my wife Cindy painted them blue -- to match the boat. Which means we had to rename the boat, of course; now she's the Blue Rose. That'll fit on the transom better, anyway...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought two other chairs, while I was at it. They're a little narrower, and we'll use them when two people are fishing. I haven't tried them in the boat yet, but I think one aft facing forward, and one forward facing aft should work out fine, and leave enough room for the ice chest and tackle box in the middle.

They have cracks at the top, which I'll repair one way or another. Or maybe not; I paid a dollar apiece for them.:)

[​IMG]

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

They seams to pass the Cape Horn. :)
    It looks windy and nasty, but your vessel take the bad sea very well. Very nice pictures, and I like this one who show the hull. Very elegant design.
    Congratulation.
    Daniel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Troy I didn't came for a while in your thread. I am sorry for your health problem, take very good care of you, it is serious business what you have.
    As for the second boat, the picture you show seams a right choice since your area seams windy.
    I am glad you son was with you.
    Daniel

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm pretty hard to knock over and keep down, Daniel; I'll be around for a while. But thanks for the kind words.

That's probably the last time Blue Rose will be on a lake; we just took her out for a trial spin. Normally she'll be used for fishing on calm, sheltered backwaters off the Colorado River.

I've started a thread about the other boat, where you can get a better look at it:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/wo...or-atkin-cruising-canoe-35365.html#post415508

With permission from Pat Atkin, I posted the entire magazine article in which her father-in-law originally introduced the design, back in 1933.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Blue Roses. Very Tennessee Williams. :D

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Or very Smurfy...;)

7. hoytedow

I wish you were my sister. I'd teach you to have some confidence in yourself. The different people are not like other people, but being different is nothing to be ashamed of. Because other people are not such wonderful people. They're one hundred times one thousand. You're one times one! They walk all over the earth. You just stay here. They're common as — weeds, but — you — well, you're — Blue Roses!
    Jim, Scene Seven
    The Glass Menagerie

"Smurfette's blue rose symbolized broken promises, or at the very least the need to break promises when they are absolutely necessary."

Or very Ob-- never mind. :(

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

"In some cultures, blue roses traditionally signify a mystery, or attaining the impossible, or never ending quest for the impossible. They are believed to be able to grant the owner youth or grant wishes. Historically, this symbolism derives from the rose's meaning in the language of flowers common in Victorian times. Blue roses also convey inner feelings of love at first sight, being enchanted by something or someone. The color blue is also traditionally associated with royal blood, and thus the blue rose can also denote regal majesty and splendor. Elaborate use of this symbolism is adopted by Ken Roberts in his book "A Rich Man's Secret". In Chinese folklore, the blue rose signifies hope against unattainable love."

9. hoytedow

In TW's play, it was a play on the word pleurosis, commonly known as pleurisy.

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I know. And I'm also familiar with Smurfette's blue rose. But I prefer to define a blue rose simply as something rare and precious....

11. hoytedow

Which it is.:)

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

hey, i'm kinda like a blue rose

13. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

[​IMG]

Cheers :)
    Angel

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, that explains the rough water.

I tried to tell my son we were a little off-course...;)

15. hoytedow

No wake zone!

Attached Files: