Building a center cockpit deck. Advice needed Please.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Jabula, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Jabula

Jabula New Member

Due to poor interior space caused by an aft cockpit, I would like to build a center cockpit onto my flat deck C&C 40". Looking at it, it seems plausable and would allow me to put a double berth in the stern. I would like to build a male mould and glass over as opposed to a female mould. I just think as a one-off, a male would be a quicker and cheaper way to go? As the deck is balsa cored now, should I keep this balsa cored too? The concern I have is the laying up and final finnish - without a moulded gel coat. What would the best way be to fair the finnish and apply a gel coat or paint finnish. Also, a laying glass fibre 101 lesson would be appreciated. How many layers of mat and grade? I'm sure this may have been discussed in this forum before, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Ply and glass and lots of grunt work. paint is the easy way unless your familiar with gel. 1/2 inch ply with 3 layers of 1810 glass and 1 layer of cloth for finish. fair with light weight filler and paint, two part urethane.

3. Jabula

Jabula New Member

Thanks Jimslade. Should I use marine ply? Is 1810 glass woven roven or ? Three layers on each side of the ply? Polyester resin ok? How do I get the rough texture finish as on the rest of the deck?

4. Jabula

Jabula New Member

Just an added question whilst here. When laying down cloth, I always have a problem trying to make it stick around corners no matter how much of an overlap I leave. How do I prevent lifting and causing bubbles?

5. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

why not a foam sandwich

6. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

I like dried out pressure treated wood. use 1810 stitch mat. it is 18 oz oriented glass with a 1 oz mat attached to it. dont use woven its old tech. one layer inside 3 outside gradually extending away. use a metal mat roller it will help in getting out the air bubbles.radius the corners with a puddy mixture of resin and cabosil. polyester is fine. there are kits to replace the textured surface. Foam will also work but I have found it takes more expir. to work with.

7. Jabula

Jabula New Member

Thank You jimslade,
    Your advice is much appreciated. I see you're "just up the rood from me", can you recomened a supplier to me that may deliver to Halifax?