Building a Catamaran - Costs?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Friday, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Alan.M

Alan.M Junior Member

Have a look here www.easy.i8.com They are plywood cat designs, and are intended to be fairly simple to build, and relatively cheap. Not bad looking boats either.

2. captainjsw

captainjsw Junior Member

Hi Kate, Yes plans do tend to be a little costly. I have just been through the process of building a 42' Grainger cat and the plans and the initial startup is quite low compared with the later stages.. Anyway I have posted a lot of information on building my boat on my web site http://www.johnwatson.com.au. Worth a look I think, feel free to e-mail me direct if you have any questions or if you think I can be of any help.

Good luck for the future

John

3. rgtsc01

rgtsc01 bertmass

Building cost, 40'

A few years ago, I noticed quite a few of Wharram's Tiki 38 catamaran were being built for dive charters in Thailand. The website said the builder was SeaScape in Phuket. I eventually was able to contact the owner of this enterprise and he quoted me US$70,000 for a fully rigged Tiki 38, including sails, engine and electronics.

Attached Files:

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Lots of work. Need I remind you guys that it is only an Englishman that gets all his work done by Friday ?

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I knew a bloke that had a wharram In Thailand (actually I dont consider them a boat sorry) and his boat was eaten by termites. It was finally destroyed on the beaches of Ko Samui.

They tie them together with rope!!! why dont they use nuts and bolts?

70,000 dollars for two origami plywood hulls tied with rope.

Sorry,--- I hate them.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Building a catamaran

Fanie you are a man after my own heart. You are asking all the right questions that i am about to ask within the next month or so. I have honestly been working on this subject for months (it started 25 years ago with Chris Bonnet Ocean Sailing Academy Durban) included is 2 very faded pic's when i did my skippers license.

I have read and studied 100's of webpages and read 1000's of articles and am more confused than ever - because this is a big step for me - building costs and premises rentals in Centurion - Pretoria - South Africa.

Finally i have found the boat for me.

Lavranos - Proteus 10.6
    Included is the pics I have so far from Angelo. At present he is in Sydney so i got this info from his wife.

I will be buying my plans and epoxy and plywood from CKD boats. I have found them to be very reliable and cost effective. I went to great pains last year to learn the basics of CAD so that i could do my own 3 axis CNC routing at a company in Centurion. it will be a huge saving.

Questions to all the good folk out there.

In your opnion - What do you think of this design. I have not found anything really close to this. Will this be a safe short handed / singlehanded cruiser in moderate weather - in most places around the world.

I have no desire to round Cape Horn. I will wait for suitable Weather. I dont want to cruise in a floating palace.

I do understand that most questions are relevant to interpretation Etc. but lets cut through the crap and get to back to basics.

Will this boat -if built well and to the designers Specification - have a reasonable resale value?

Apparently one is being built - started in Cape Town - I will post details when i can - because i will go down to see.

Also included is pics of a friends boat that i sail on occasionally and of course my buddys motorcat which is PARTY:D

Attached Files:

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Building A Catamaran

Sorry guys i had another powerfailure (common in the new democratic SA)

Here are the rest of the pics

Attached Files:

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Building a catamaran

Hey Fanie i only saw now that is an old thread. But what the hell. I am tired it is Monday 18h00 time for a whiskey let me know what you think any way if you pic this lot up.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Forget it Manie, I'm not building your boat for you :D

I had a quick look at the study plans, it looks quite nice.

If you're in Centurion we're so close it's almost family :D Give me a call - 012 661 4751. Be interesting to chat about the cat(s)

Depends on the wind - you may not have a choice :D That or you may want to get away of this place for good :D

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Building a catamaran

Hi Fanie thanks and much appreciated. I will contact you before the weekend for a get together. I am waiting for a bit more info from CKD and Lavranos that i want to share with you.
    Manie 082 455 6993

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

That will be nice - I'm not here on Friday, may leaving on Thursday evening to go fishing... what else ? but any time before that should be ok.

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its the old story - if you have to ask how much a boat costs, you cant afford it, but I have been in the same situation.
    I presume 40ft was to travel the blue ocean - maybe you should think about getting some experience as a crew while you save and get familiar with the gear and stuff.
    If you are into building - a small boat to sell to build a bigger one is a great start. Good luck

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Building a catamaran

RWatson what is your impresion of the Lavranos Proteus 10.6 cat. It not a case of cant afford it, what ever you do its going to COST. But it is a case of building with confidence with what i got. I am 55, I want to sail / cruise, I have no desire to build the wrong boat and one day you and i meet and have a beer and you say to me: BUT WHY DIDNT YOU ASK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Will apreciate all the advice i can get from folks who have been there.:D :D :D

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You only 55 Manie ? Gee that's old :D

Come on man, you're not even half way yet. You can sit on the boat for another 40 years at least if it takes you 5 years to do...

I had another look at your cat, and it really looks ok. I don't see anything funny or out of place... it would probably even float too :D

15. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member