Composite design calculations

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by erikhaha, Aug 6, 2012.

1. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

I have searched threads on here and I was unable to find any similar threads with the information that I am looking for.

I am interested in design of composite beams, specifically wood and fiberglass. I do not want to use scantlings, but rather calculate the required type of glass and number of layers needed to resist the applied moment.

I am very familiar with structural design of isotropic materials and I am looking to expand my knowledge base of composite design.

Does anyone have any good recommendations as far as textbooks or online resources about designing composite beams, or other structures, or fiberglass and or carbon fiber ?

Thanks

2. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

3. erikhaha

erikhaha Junior Member

Thanks tspeer. The .pdf composites is really helpfull.

I assume that the design of wood and fiberglass structural elements would be based on allowable loads, which are based on laboratory test results, which is similar to wood design, ASD.

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

1 person likes this.

5. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.