Deciding on a steering replacement

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by pwillie, May 27, 2016.

1. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

I have a Morris Drum style steering control head, but will replace do to age....The new unit will be turning a 90 hp Mercury 4 stroke. I have looked at the rack and pinion style, but would like to know which style would be the strongest for the 90 motor?:confused: Rotary or rack and pinion?

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Steering manufacturers do not mess around with HP ratings because of the liability. 90HP is well within the ratings range of either small rotary or rack and pinion. The rack takes up a lot more space behind the dash.

The no feedback systems are nice to have, otherwise select by cost because the issue of "strongest for a 90HP" is a non issue.
    :cool:

3. pwillie

pwillie Junior Member

Thanks, I will do it!

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Hydraulic is the best if you can afford it.

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.