Building a boat around 18hp.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Deadeye, Jan 10, 2012.

1. liki

liki Senior Member

Tom,

I own a boat with 1980 35hp Evinrude and I think it has also the same base engine. I lately fitted a lower unit from 1994 20hp model and their differences seemed also very minor. The lower had a little larger gear ratio.

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Yes, the 35 is the same base engine as the 18 and 25. These old Johnson/Evinrude engines are the most reliable and repairable of the old ones. Parts are readily available as is knowledge of how to fix them. Only real downside to them is the oil that gets into the water although they will run fine on the newer and better oils at 50:1 ratio.

Anyone interested in cheap power should get Max Wawrzynizk's book "Cheap Outboards". Loaded with good practical information on which engines to look for and how to use them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.