building a 25 ft Tug

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by tugboat, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Jack--the portly hull- isnt that basically the pintle or the porker?
    then you have the different deck layout- if you contact Mal--im sure he would work something out for you- use the petunia hull-
    Mal has cutting files now-they are very reasonably priced...just modify it as shown in the pics..

2. molleur

molleur Junior Member

Thanks. I was not aware that Mal had cutting files, thought he was on a permanent
    leave from the boat stuff. Didn't wish to bother him about this but I'll give it a try.

3. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

let me know what happens...;)

4. molleur

molleur Junior Member

Wilco...

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

6. molleur

molleur Junior Member

Hi John, great to hear from you! pop me an e-mail
    jmolleur@cfl.rr.com

Wondering what you were up to...

7. blcouch

blcouch New Member

I just contacted Mal about cutting files. Here is the correspondence:

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:04 PM, blcouch wrote:

I have had plans/tutorials for the 27' / 28' tug for a few years now and just recently saw on the site about cutting files for the plating. What tugs do they cover and what is the cost? I don't have my plans in front of me( I'm on the boat and they are at home) so I don't know what specifically I have. I am looking at heavy displacement/double chine. Thank you and we all love your designs. Wish you the best of health.

Brandon Couch
    Master of Towing Vessels
    Higman Marine inc.

Response:

Hi Brandon:

And thanks for your kind comments.

We have just (September) introduced the full CNC cutting files for the SmallTug(TM) Design 538T Pintle heavy displacement double chine commercial tug, CNC Package p/n CNC538.

These files allow plasma cutting of all steel plate parts for the complete vessel including tanks, main engine bed, and include mast, stack, and pilothouse trim. Some pipe, angle, off-the-shelf (Freeman Marine) hatches, ports, and doors complete the vessel. The CNC files are accompanied by a pictorial manual showing all assembly operations and a wealth of 3D images.

The selling price of the CNC538 package is $1455.00 and that cost is more than offset by material and labor savings in the construction of a fine and able tug. However we are offering the package at an introductory price of $595.00 in exchange for feedback and pics during construction, this data intended to be included in our future advertising and on our website. We also include "unlimited" email support during construction with the package.

We have attached a couple of 3D images that have been generated directly from the CNC cutting files data. "What you see is what you get" using these files.

We have entered into a partnership with Cad/Cam Systems of Dry Prong, Louisiana for the generation of CNC packages for our SmallTug designs and the CNC538 Pintle is the first. We are currently coding the 21 ft. hull and the first CNC package for 553WY Powder Puff'r is scheduled to be completed this quarter of 2011. Also on the boards are a line of modular barges and a portable pushboat. Cad/Cam Systems has been producing CNC files for major shipbuilding in the tug-centric country around New Orleans for over 20 years. Their reputation in this field is flawless.

Mal believes this new product will be a sound investment for anyone facing the new USCG towing craft regs as it produces a solid and capable under-26 ft. commercial tug that can do the work of larger vessels without the regulatory hassles.

Thanks also for your best wishes; Mal is doing well, all things considered, and is excited and encouraged by SmallTugs' latest development.

Regards, The Smalltugs Crew

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do one of these. I am still looking at an 'ATB' style Tug/Housebarge. Of course construction is still 2-5 years away :(

I hope I haven't stepped on Mal's toes by posting this. I hoped to save them answering a bunch of the same email.

8. molleur

molleur Junior Member

Thank you for posting Brandon, just what I was looking for. Perfect.

9. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

hey guys--sorry to do this to you once more but --ive finally started my dream build -its not a tug--ill explain later why not..but here is the proof..see all my vids here and it explains what im doing...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/porpoisefathom
    sorry i didnt complete this build--i have since done a lot such as learned rhino 4,-enrolled in macnaughton school, and built two more hulls and sold them...
    now im ready for the masterpiece.
    btw--have nothing but good things to say about Mals cnc kits--what a great investment!!

new (and final )project -after this its retirement for me...

class: civil
    propulsion: Diesel-electric
    l.o.a- 52 ft
    beam (pressure hull)- 7.8 ft outer diameter
    beam hull inner 7.4 inches
    displacement submerged aprox (salt water)- 36 tons
    displ.(fresh water)- 35 tons submerged
    displacement surfaced- 26.27 tons (fresh water)
    '' '' '' '' '' -27.12 (salt water)
    range-10 000 nm
    speed surfaced-7 knots
    '' '' '' submerged-3 knots
    submerged run time- 2.5 - 4 hours
    materials- pressure hull- concrete/steel or ferro-cement- or fer-a-lite.

alternative vessel design:

replica of the type XXI german uboat- manned 1/4 scale

10. molleur

molleur Junior Member

Mal has graciously sent me the Portly II plan set. His intro CNC files will be offered in a modular fashion beginning with keel and frames and going from there.
    Much appreciated Mal, thank you!

11. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Yes-this is the way to go--so easy--you go the steel folks plug in a stick- download your files and they are cut within the day--then you weld it up---so easy and for us amateur guys- makes so much sense to get a fair hull--without a doubt worth every penny!! keep me updated..looking forward to seeing it--i got sidetracked but im compelled to follow this old dream ive had...as crazy as it seems...but i gotta make it happen...right now i probably know more about this than boats...

12. molleur

molleur Junior Member

You have a very interesting project going on there..
    I have also always wondered what it would be like to have my very own submarine.
    Not too insane!

13. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

yea--to be honest--it is a bit nuts- a little crazy as they say-is a good thing -but its my lifetime dream i cant run from it...no more nuts than someone owning a giant 75 ft -150 ft yacht...have you started yet?? its good to even just do small things while you are planning your build-- a model helps...

14. molleur

molleur Junior Member

Building a balsa model as we speak..

15. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

awesome---if you have any pics--pls post!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.