Building a 100' Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by kingofsportsIII, Sep 2, 2006.

1. kingofsportsIII

kingofsportsIII Junior Member

After 6 years of owning and modifying the 114' Trimran King of Sports III I am starting to plan the design and construciton of its successor.

Without going into too much detail I'd liek a vessel hybrid of:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/cable_and_wireless.htm
    and
    http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/5630/.

It will be a lighter/stronger/less maintenance three story trimaran that uses a wide array of solar panels (assisted by kites/parachutes when conditions are optimal) to cruise at 6-12knots using no fossil fuels over long distances. I also plan to have enough power to cruise at 24knts+ when the 4 gensets are powering the electric motors (waterjets?) located in the stern and amas.

This dream Trimaran again would be long and slender (90'-110’) . . . super stable at anchorage and super smooth crusing in small-moderate seas like the King of Sports III. It would be suited best for oportunistic jumps across open ocean and seasonal nearshore tropical cruising with no dependence on marinas for fuel, power, or water for months at a time. Made from strong and super light low maintenance materials (sandblasted bare aluminum or composite fibers), the fit-out would be minimalist (little maintenace) and open above the main deck. The living space on the main deck would be open (no walls) to let the breeze roll through under the shade of the second deck wings. In heavy seas or when making passage the main deck is cleared and wash can pass over the entire deck without ill effect.

This boat would be designed to be a giant stable platform best suited for family living in the remote tropical lagoons in Micronesia with advanced sat communications/internet, a variety of alternative energy devices, and massive electrical storage/management capacity. The challenge will be to build the vessel with clean lines and some traditional yacht styling so as not to look too much like a freakish experiment.

The flybridge would be aproximately 25' off the water. The closest thing I can find to what I want to build is:

http://www.freivokh.com/largeview/ckenfd-kbpic-ncw02-slge.jpg?Cable & Wireless Power Trimaran

Except I plan to elevate the 'wings' between the amas and main hull another 6 feet, wided the second deck cabin (20% wider than the main hull at water line) and cover the rest of the exposed wings and exposed topside with solar power tiles (about 1200sqft).

I've also got interesting ideas about how to funnel wind through a bi directional turbine (like a blowhole) for extra power when in swell using the unique trimaran hull shape, and a synthetic 'Sharkskin' hull covering to reduce drag and eliminate the need for bottom antifouling paint.

I used to be a parasailing captain for years and I'm confident I can launch a 60' diameter modified flying parachute (maybe two) from a mini tower connected to a commercial electric winch below deck. With steady winds from 10-40knts and retractable daggerboards the boat will be pulled(lifted) 45 degress at a directional range either side of downwind and 6knts+. . add a bit of silent/vibration free power from the solar/battery powered electric motors and we are have a 100' vessel going 15 knots without fossil fuel or a sail.

There is a lot of great information here and I look forward to reading comments as I add more information to thsi thread. Not sure if I will post the CAD docs but I will put up some sketches and dimensions for other to comment on.

Insane-probably. But 'if you never go- you will never know'

-Scott

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Wow. That will be one pretty cool boat.
    From the links you posted, Scott, I take it you're a fan of Nigel Irens' designs. You can find his design firm at http://www.nigelirens.demon.co.uk/ .
    It'll be really interesting to see how this plays out. You've got a lot of really neat ideas that will present quite a challenge to implement.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.