Building 15' Mudboat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by DaytonaSteve, May 27, 2007.

1. DaytonaSteve

DaytonaSteve Junior Member

Hello,

Well, I just wanted to share my little project with anyone curious about construction of a mudboat by hand. Been searching the internet and I got to say. This is one very nice boat site, so i figured i would make this my new home. In the next few days. I'll upload some pictures and get the story rolling. Here's a little info on those curious to my little project.

Well, for those of you that don't know. I mudboat is a boat that is design to boat through the mud and shallow waters. Mainly for hunting and fishing for Redfish. The boat i'm in the middle of construction. The boat will be powered with a Subaru "EA81" inboard motor and the famous 71C Velvet drive transmission. The boat is wood and hand laid fiberglass. All screwed with zinc hardware and boat epoxy glue. I only use zinc screw for anything that is going to be glassed over. Anything that is going to be out in the weather and not protected. Will be good stainless.

Well, just wanted to touch base and get a thread going. I hope everyone enjoys my thread. Please, feel free to ask any questions. I'd be more then happy to answer any and all questions. Take care and thanks for a very nice site.
    Later,
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. DaytonaSteve

Evening all,

Well, i got around to digging through my pictures and will start posting them. I'll try to stay in order and not mix anything up. Since i'm at the gel coat stage now. I'll get start from the beginning and work my way to where i'm at now.

It's alittle late right now and i don't have my supply notes with me, but i'll make sure to list the supplies sometime tomorrow. For those who are wondering what type of material i used. Here are some pictures to hold those following the thread over till tomorrow sometime.
    Take care,
    Steve

Attached Files:

• A1.JPG
      A1.JPG
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • A2.JPG
      A2.JPG
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
    • A3.JPG
      A3.JPG
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
  3. johnnyv

johnnyv Junior Member

So a flat bottom garvey or jon boat at 15', wouldn't that motor be rather overpowered?, would think a 25hp outboard would get you to a nice speed.
    But main thing is to build the boat and have some fun on the water, and it looks like your well on your way.

1 person likes this.
  4. DaytonaSteve

Hey johnnyv,

Thanks for stopping by. As to your question about the motor being a little bit to much. No, the boat is going to have some weight to her and the over all length is going to be close to 17' total. That's with the "Duck Tail" or what is called the stern deck. This boat hull is about roughly 1/2" thick total. We used 1/4" BC sanded plywood and also built up close to 1/4" of fiberglass. This boat will have a little bit of weight to her and this configuration has been used for sometime now. Only difference in my mudboat and the ones that can be bought. They are all fiberglass and allot lighter. They use a chop gun and shoot their glass, when i hand laid all of mine.

Thanks for asking. Was really stoked to see someone asking questions. As for the motor. I got lucky and found one last weekend at local junk yard. Found a sweet deal on a complete engine for $85 bucks. Going to be using the Subaru EA81 engine which is a 1.8L pusing roughly 74-76 HP, but we are going to bump her up some. Going to change out the carb for a new Webber. Going to add a better coil,wires,plugs, and i'll build some better exhaust pipes. I'm lucky enough to live just down the road from Crane Cam and those boys are going to work my cam for me some. That should be some fun. Just got to figure out how to open up the intake. I think i got that covered.

Well, enough me talking up a storm. Here's some more pictures for those following. Again, ask any questions. More then happy to answer any of them.
    Take care,
    Steven

Attached Files:

• A4.JPG
      A4.JPG
      File size:
      177.5 KB
      Views:
    • A5.JPG
      A5.JPG
      File size:
      161.6 KB
      Views:
    • A6.JPG
      A6.JPG
      File size:
      179.4 KB
      Views:
  5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

She won't float without bottom panels! :)

6. DaytonaSteve

Sorry,
    Forgot about the material list. Most of this stuff was either bought at Lowes or Home Depot. Other stuff that was purchase else where's. I'll list where it can be found.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Lowes

Poplar wood Planks 1"x4" ??
    Zinc Wood Screws
    BC 1/4" Sanded Plywood
    3/4" Plywood

Ben's Paint

FASCO "FAS-Stick Epoxy Glue"

7. DaytonaSteve

LOL, Good one.

Thanks,

I've already glassed her and shot the first layer of gelcoat. Just got to fix some mess ups. This thread should be caught up by this weekend. I think everyone will get a kick out of the hull being close to finish.
    Thanks,
    Steve

8. johnnyv

johnnyv Junior Member

Well yes will need that extra power with that much weight! plan on running over rocks at 30mph?
    Should be really sturdy.

9. DaytonaSteve

Hey johnnyv,

No, I'm not going to try to hit anything at that speed. I'm guessing this boat will be around that speed or maybe a little bit more. I'm not one that boats crazy. Once we are done with this project. We are going to weigh it at the local truck stop scales and see what she weighs. I'm a little curious myself. Here are some more pictures.
    Take care,
    Steve

Attached Files:

• A7.JPG
      A7.JPG
      File size:
      175.2 KB
      Views:
    • A8.JPG
      A8.JPG
      File size:
      227.7 KB
      Views:
  10. DaytonaSteve

Evening all,

Sorry, been a little busy with work and all. In the last post. You will notice what is called the stumper jumper. This basically is a kell that protects the shaft and prop. Pretty much when you hit a stump, or run across a sand bar. This lifts up on the hull. They work pretty well and save money in the end.

Here you will notice i laid the bottom panels. I also want to note that i used the FASCO epoxy glue on everything. All the seems and screws got a coat if this stuff. You will also notice. That i cut the holes for the stump jumper and the rudder also. I'll try to get pictures of the glassing. Boy, was that a fun job. Take care all and enjoy.
    Later,
    Steve

Attached Files:

• A9.JPG
      A9.JPG
      File size:
      187.4 KB
      Views:
  11. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

subaru...

Steve, some engine photos when U can... Just to shake up my Lady and her Impreza :p

Actually her Impreza is just starting a transatlantic crossing from Africa, where we've run it for 3 years, to Boston.

But this crossing will be in a container on a somewhat larger boat!

12. mudman

mudman Junior Member

Steve,

I am currently in the process of getting my mudboat built out of Aluminum. I have a EA71 subaru engine. Just wonderin if you can help me out with those pesky vaccum lines? Someone told me to remove all lines and plug the hoses to everything.

The engine runs, but it seems like it is being choked for too long when started. The thing just revs for too long. It also does this after given the gas. When I let off of the gas, it continues to stay at high revolution for 3 to 5 seconds. Is this caused by the vaccum lines?

Can you tell me how to do a stuffing box also?

By the way, the boat looks great. I rebuilt a Ranger a few years back. Lots of fiberglass. (Nasty stuff). Any boats that I build from now on will be out of Aluminum.

I've gotten alot of advise on building my mudboat. Some of the guys down here with them say that they go 40 mph. It all depends on the angle of the driveshaft.

13. DaytonaSteve

Afternoon all,

Sorry, been super busy at work and with the family. I'll try to answer everyone's questions alittle later on tonight. Been working on the Mudboat and got some gel coat sprayed on. Will upload some pictures for all to see. Here's some of the first glassing photo's. Boy, was this a job hand laying this thick material. I'll try and dig up the material weight and type later on.

Here's the boat with the first layer of glass.

Attached Files:

• A11.JPG
      A11.JPG
      File size:
      172.5 KB
      Views:
    • A12.JPG
      A12.JPG
      File size:
      185.6 KB
      Views:
    • A13.JPG
      A13.JPG
      File size:
      154.4 KB
      Views:
  14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Might be the dashpot is causing the slow return to idle. Look at the linkage, it's a little thing that the throttle arm contacts, like a vacuum advance, sort of. It prevents backfiring, etc..
    WoodenBoat had an article a ways back featuring a marine coversion of a Subaru boxer engine. Tou may know that though.

Alan

15. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

"No I'm not going to hit anything at that speed". Never sya never. :(

Hope construction is going well.

Tim