Builder seeks market advice / feedback

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by gmeadows, Mar 8, 2004.

1. gmeadows

gmeadows Junior Member

Hello,

I run a one man shop and I am looking for a new design to add to my mix of projects. I want to build a centerboard daysailer around 18 to 20 feet LOA.
    I have built several round bottomed herreshoff and joel white designs for day sailing but I am now looking for an alternative to expand my range of options available to new customers.

This "new boat" will be built on spec to allow me to see how things go. I am looking at the John Alden O-boat which is a centerboard sloop and seems to have very nice lines and an elegant sail plan. Beyond this, I have not found anyone who knows too much about this design. It seems to have straight-forward construction but I would like feedback on how wide the appeal be in the marketplace.

I have looked at a number of designs including some double ended yawls with full decks but the construction timeline can stretch out longer than I might be willing to hang myself out there for a spec job. Thanks for any feedback...

2. mbaker

mbaker New Member

O-Boat

This is a very late reply - but gmeadows if you are still interested...
    An "O" boat fleet is actively raced on Upper St. Regis Lake in NY. Most of the boats are original but a few are newly built. They are popular with juniors and a few wily older sailors. They sail well in extreme lake winds, point high to windward, but wallow in low winds. These boats were never was very popular and we may have the only active class. They are a bit clunky, they require a lot of lead in the hull, the relationship of seated skipper to the tiller is awkward, and the crew is often bored to tears holding the jib. However, in the right wind: high gusty winds, when the other classes are turning over it is a great boat to race. Once rigged it is easy and quick to get the sails up and set off, it is a great instructional boat and it will only turn over in line squalls or hurricane winds. Good luck