9' Davidson repair

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by SpiritWolf15x, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

Hey everyone, for a while now my family has owned an old 9' Davidson sailing/Rowing dinghy, currently it is in need of some pretty extensive repairs as 25 years ago a boat beam was dropped on it. It still holds it's shape and it is solid.

At one point my late father and I were going to restore it but that never happened. Now, needing a dinghy and having a perfectly good rig from a sailing canoe, I'm wanting to get it going again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wolf (pictures coming tomorrow probably)

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Well, I'd suggest fixing the extensive damage and then possibly adapting the perfectly good canoe sailing rig to it.

Pictures would probably help.

3. SpiritWolf15x

Pictures are coming... As soon as the weather clears enough to set up a work shelter in my back yard.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Wow, that was a pretty fast reply!

I did google an image of it...

[​IMG]

5. SpiritWolf15x

Supposedly... It's not supposed to be raining tomorrow... So if the weather network isn't lying I should have pictures of the needed repairs up tomorrow.

6. SpiritWolf15x

Those pictures...

The weather finally cleared enough to grab some pictures. I can't tell exactly WHERE the beam landed but apart from some de-lamination I don't think it looks "that bad".

My original though for fixing it was glueing the de-laminated pieces down then sanding the hull clean so I can add a fiber glass shell around the hull. I'm trying to decide which route to take, the easy route of just making a keel add in to cover the center board slot and making it a rowing/motoring only dinghy, considering that is what it will be doing primarily anyways, or going with the slightly more technical project of trying to bring it back to sail-able condition. The only thing I'm worried about with that is water getting in under the glass shell around the center board trunk and rotting it out.

-Wolf

Attached Files:

7. SpiritWolf15x

Pictures part 2

Part 2

Attached Files:

8. WhiteDwarf

WhiteDwarf White Dwarf

Confirm construction?

Please:

Can you confirm that this is a cold molded hull?

How many laminates, 3?

Do you know what glues were used?

What ever repair you undertake, you will have to remove lose and damaged material and ensure that whatever remainsis dry. You will need to take particular care of the centreboard box. Even if you abandon the idea of sailing the boat, the box probably supports the centre thwart and this role will need to be fullfilled by some structural element.

More photos of the interior would also help.

Great project for winter, good luck.

9. SpiritWolf15x

I've no clue on the construction method or the glue used. I was just going to use some West system 205 and some adhesive filler to glue the pieces down...

The whole boat is solid and there is basically no rot anywhere. Any de-lamination that has occurred is limited to the very top layer of the plywood used.

10. icanbelizeit

icanbelizeit New Member

Hi Wolf,
    I saw you have been working on a Davidson rowing dinghy. I am completely green to the boat scene but have had an interest for quite some time. I picked up a Davidson rowing dinghy near Seattle over the weekend and will soon start my side/stress relief project of trying to bring my Davidson back to life. Curious how your progress is coming along and if you have any words of wisdom to offer.

icanbelizeit