3d HULL! HELP :(

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ptommy, May 20, 2016.

1. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

GOOD EVENING GUYS!
    i'm new in this site,i'm a young Naval architect and marine engineer and i've seen that a lot of wonderful material, congrats!

i'm starting a project of a motor yacht with Loa=15m. i have a problem, the shipyard have the mould (plate) but there hasn't the plane of costruction for the hull! now the question:
    how can i do to obtain a 3d model hull starting by the mould????:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

thanks to everything for ideas or solutions!

ciaoooo

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It's easy, though laborious. You have no choice but to take measures in the mold, several points to generate cross sections and all other curves on the hull you need. They can be taken by hand, drawing reference lines, or by means of a 3D scanner. In Barcelona there is at least one company that has already done this several times in boats. They call it "reverse engineering".
    Have a look on :
    http://www.enavales.com/index.php/a...n-de-formas-de-una-embarcaciĆ³n-existente.html
    http://captae.com/servicio-escaner-laser-3d/laser-scanner-3d-ingenieria-naval/

3. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

Thanks a lot of your quick answer TANSL I had thought the same solutions hoping in the existence of other ones :,,,D. to reduce the cost it seem better the solutions "with mesures" but i never did it. how can i perform it?
    i mesure the Loa of the mold. OK
    i divide the Loa to obtain several transversal section. OK
    but how can obtain the RIGHT shape of transversal section and put it in CAD?
    I'VE thought to do sections mold with cardboard.. but i haven't clear like importing everything in the CAD to modeling the HULL :(

4. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

ppost scritum!
    thanks a lot for your usuful links!

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

In the first link in post # 2 they show how to proceed to take measurements. If you get these measures, points of cross sections, I can put them in AutoCAD to get the 2D body lines plan and, from there, if necessary, obtain a 3D model of the hull.
    In these cases, work with AutoCAD lets you get a model more adjusted to the reality than with other applications.

6. vkstratis

vkstratis Naval Architect

Divide the mold into specified intervals from stern to bow. Stretch a wire or twine from stern to bow at CL to help you. Then place at each interval a straight edge from one side to the other. Be sure it is straight. Use a steel beam or a solid wood piece or similar. Mesaure each time from reference points at the stern to be sure that your beam is at right angle to the CL. At each interval measure heights to major lines, i.e. CL, chines, etc and record them. Measure height from sheer to base line in order to have a reference height.

Then you can place all these points to your CAD, build surfaces and finally derive the hull lines.

I have done it many times, it is laborious but if you dont have access to a 3d scanner there is no other way.

7. serow

serow Junior Member

Come on guys. Here we have someone saying he's a Naval architect and engineer and he needs telling how to measure a hull? This must be a wind-up.

8. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

vkstratis

thanks a lot of your help!

9. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

DEAR serow,
    naval architect like you know.. do maaaany things. in my case i have always worked in the "CALCULUS PART". the single university degree DOESN'T do a great profesional but the experience, yes! and like i don't have a direct experience in a work like this one, humbly i question...

thanks a lot of your precious informations ;)

10. serow

serow Junior Member

Come on ptommy. Are you trying to tell us you are a dab hand at calculus but can't measure a boat?

11. ptommy

ptommy Junior Member

up i have written that i'm a JUNIOR NA. surely that i can mesure it but i'm searching a procedure to put the mesurement in my pc and modeling the hull, procedure already texted by someone(vkstratis_thanks!) .I have always worked with constructions plane and never i have done a reverse process like this one. it's a problem for you??? i don't understand..surely 1 year go out to your univerity you knew do everything....surely :,,,D ...come on.
    humilty it's the better manner to permorm in the better ways and raise step by step.
    i don't spend any time with you.
    un besito

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

serow, I do not know the knowledge that you have to say what a NA should knowhow. You can explain why you're qualified to judge the capabilities of a NA.?. I can assure you, without fear of contradiction, that there are many things a NA does not know how to do but is not required to know how.
    In any case, it would be interesting to know in detail your solution to this issue.

13. serow

serow Junior Member

Do you know of a tailor who can't measure a customer for a suit?

14. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What a stupid thing!. Going on with stupidities, do you know a tailor to calculate the center of buoyancy of his client ?. Continuing with ptommy's philosophy, I'm not going to waste another second of my precious existence with you.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Just scan the darn mold. There are a number of relatively low cost methods to pick up, very accurate compound and odd shapes. Drop the point cloud into Rhino or whatever you're using and be done with it. As you start off, it's hard to get practical experience, but this will be a good way to work in the yard and see how things are done. Again, there are a few different methods to do this, so some research is in order. Start with a search on photogrammetry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.