build a cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by mike harriman, May 31, 2011.

1. mike harriman

mike harriman mikey 21

Hi there. I would like to know where I can get a 40 to 50 foot alum catamaran cruiser built, or would it be cheaper to get a used one.

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

It will always be cheaper to get a used one.

3. Aharon

Aharon Junior Member

I thought "build a cat" would involve more than "what is cheaper: to BUY a new or a used one".
    <edit: "to get a cat built" - Mike, I got you wrong. My bad, ok?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  4. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Lots of places

Click >>>>> aluminium boatbuilders

5. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

Start by making a list of the features you require.
    Then prioritize those which are most important.
    Then see how well existing boats fit your list of requirements or if a custom build is warranted.

6. CatBuilder

My apologies, Mike. I mis-posted.

I was not thinking when posting. For most boats, it is less expensive to buy used than to build. This is not always the case for catamarans. If you build the boat yourself, it is often less expensive than used. However, this is uniquely a function of the demand for used catamarans.

7. CatBuilder

You would have to build it yourself though. Labor costs to hire the build out make it more expensive than used.

8. simon

simon Senior Member

9. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Barry Choy of Chow design has worked with a yard in Washington State for a aluminum cat. You might contact him for details.

10. mike harriman

mike harriman mikey 21

My apologies for not being more specific. I am thinking of a sailing catamaran 40feet or bigger. depending on cost. I would like alum. Something that i can live aboard.

11. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

While there are available cats out there 40'+ in alum, I believe you will find most in fiberglass or cold molded. If your really set on alum you will be severely limiting the field of potential boats, many of them quite excellent vessels.The range of what is available in Catamarans is very wide and varied, from big heavy boats with lots of comforts to more spartan speedsters and everything in between.

Live aboard?

how many souls
    what level of comfort
    what range is necessary? coastal, long ocean passages, etc
    will there be "home" waters?
    budget
    etc...

and I'm curious, why alum ?

Steve

12. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

Yes, why aluminum?

Gregor Tarjans excellent book Catamarans The Complete Guide For Cruising Sailors (page 157) states that Aluminum cats under 50' will be heavier than a similar composite vessel. This is because of the thickness of the metal plates required. Apparantly you can't use thinner plates. So, why aluminum? Please don't tell me you don't care about weight. BOB
    PS. Tarjan is a naval engineer specializing in cats and knows way more than you or I will ever know about this.

13. Mark Cat

Mark Cat Senior Member

Before selecting a design you have to determine the vessels purpose and area of operation.

Cruising is too broad a term.

Many good posts pertaining to material choice relative to size.

The last Aluminum sailing Catamaran for private ownership I worked was a 65 ft vessel. I did two mock ups, the first was circumnavigation, the second was circumnavigation with high latitude capability, meaning operation in freezing conditions, and recovery from dead boat emergencies in very cold waters.

The dangers to the boat/rig, in terms of loads, must be considered. Also, de-icing procedures, and enclosed bridge visibility and operation. Even with all the advanced design the vessel was not design for sea ice operation. It was designed to operate in icy waters under light conditions, and had provisions like skeg rudder/keel and ice skirts to protect the props and rudders.

The goal was to go around the ice, and not through it.

The point being, that even the same exact boat hull design, size and rig layout required two very different equipment lists and capabilities between the two versions I presented.

Mark

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.