Budget long range cruiser fit for Pacific crossing - Ideas ?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by KeithO, Jul 5, 2019.

1. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

"what type of foam is used to make surfboards." Polyurethane , it's very consistently fine and easy to shape, and the finished surface will absorb resin a little. Microsperes/Qcell can be applied before glassing, making the surface less delicate, it has slightly more resistance to sanding depending on ratios and stops the absorption, so potentially lighter overall.Epoxy should stop water ingress, it may become slightly damp permanently immersed[ moored] using polyester resin without a complete seal of epoxy to finish, inside and out.

2. KeithO

KeithO Junior Member

I have been stuck with using any boat design software by the fact that I have been using a 32 bit linux distribution and I need 64bit... So that has taken a while to sort out since I needed to back up all my data and do some large file downloads. After a few days of investigation and collecting the files I now have a 64 bit version of Mint loaded and in the process of restoring files....

I will shortly find out if Freeship works with my new OS and may need to investigate if Delftship will run under Wine....

3. Niclas Vestman

Niclas Vestman Junior Member

Hello! Interesting topic. I do have a clear favourite in this category. Not sure if it has been mentioned before.
    Kurt Hughes Multihull Design - Catamarans and Trimarans for Cruising and Charter - 38' Trimaran Trawler http://www.multihulldesigns.com/designs_stock/38tri.html
    And as far as I know, the good mr Hughes does have a few more iterations in mind. He posted a few fantastic renderings on his FB-page recently. I believe of a slightly larger version. And in adition to being crazy fuel efficient, it would also be suited for 20-50% solar propulsion, and/or small kite or simple fold up biplane freestanding cheap windsurf style rigging. Point being. With super low resistance hull, needing only about 5-15kW for economy 6-9 knots passage making (depending on size and conditions). The kite/biplane rigs or solar needed are very small, and cheap to buy/maintain/ replace. And solar is quite useful even at anchor for all systems inc AC. And an electric drivetrain does have significantly less components, wear and maintenance costs. And also offers safety, as a totally independent 2nd backup to the primary diesel engine that is needed when solar/wind does not suffice for propulsion, or as generator. And also useful for heating warm water or cabin air when needed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    bajansailor likes this.
  4. Niclas Vestman

After having given the concept some more thought, I like it even more. And I feel even more that the KHSD power tri koncept should be a winner.

As far as I can see, he has done at least 3 versions. 38', 50' and ca 60'. The concept has also been tested by the US Navy, as well as a few iterations by other designers. Some as high speed ocean crossing vessel. Some as super economy cruising variants. The Ady Gill from whale wars, and Solar Odessy being exempel of Both. If googling trimaran trawler, you will find an orange 40'+ variant. And if googling solar trimaran, you'll fins pictures of RA, who did the great loop on solar and I imagine sub 100k budget, building his own 48'er. The latter averaging about 5mph on 2kW solar from a 4kW array. With 2x2kW Torqueedo for propulsion. And the hullshape of that boat being clearly sub optimal, making 8 knots with 8kW array plausible.

5. Niclas Vestman

There is really just one thing all these designs have in comon, that is really off putting. And that is the ridicously narrow beam. Making any livable layout impossible.

Only there is absolutely no reason that needs to be the case. Those sleek designs come from traditional monohull sharpies and designers wet dream speed boats. Espescially when utilizing the trimaran form factor. The Amas will keep a 12:1 ratio waterline upright, even if the hull has a substantial flare and widens 3-4' either side above the waterline.

And at a 35'-55' size range (maybe ca 48' being a budget optimum), the hull should be large enough not having slamming issues at the flares. Making it possible to build a super efficient hull, that van be shorter despite same cruising speed as the 55' mono. There by also lighter, cheaper and with significantly lower fuel consumption. Again leading to lower weight and load carrying capability. Combined with a watermaker we are talking a displacement low enough for mainly solar and support rigg sailing.

6. Niclas Vestman

7. KeithO

KeithO Junior Member

Niclas, I have followed the work of Kurt Hughes closely, Im just not sure I am up for a multi hull vessel. The structural integrity part of the design and build is non trivial and you are automatically committed to using high modulus materials since multihulls have to be light to perform. I also question their survival in the worst possible conditions, if you read "surviving the storm" by Dashew (free PDF download now) there are many personal accounts where monohulls survived with damage, that many multis would not survive due to too much vulnerability from large cabin windows and flooding from waves breaking over the stern. For now I think I am in the monohull camp....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.