Yanmar 6LP upside down oil filters.

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Frosty, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I have 2 Yanmar 6LP. From the day they were new it took the oil pressure 7-10 seconds to shut the alarms.

I contacted Yanmar Australia who said it is not a problem because 2 engines can not have the same problem,(oh great dignosis technique) Further communication resulted in them telling me to get a life. I love the Aussies.

The engines were also poorly panted with bolts missing holding the intercooler to the block. Never mind move on.

So I investigated myself and I found that the upside down filters drained.

Same day starting was Ok ,leave it over night and it was like an oil change needing 7-10 seconds to prime the filter, actually the filter could be spun off and nothing there.

These filters are face down (upside down) so any failure in the built in anti drain valve allowed oil to drain back to the sump.

Problem found but not solved. Yanmar insists on genuine Yanmar filters, I forget how much they were but I fell over.

If you wipe the paint of it says Toyota as the 6LP is the Toyota 1hd engine from the Toyota Landcruiser.

I have sawn many filters in half looking for good ones and they "all" drain back, not through the drain valve but through spot welds under the rubber seal flange!!!! spot welds??? how can spot welds seal?

So I don't like upside down filters. Yanmar don't think its a prob and Toyota dont seem to know about it.

7 seconds don't seem much but if you use the boat just once per day, after 9 month the engine has ran for 1/2an hour without oil pressure.

There is an answer--a remote oil filter kit that mounts a regular filter the right way up, trouble is no one does a 24 x1.5 thread kit!

Any 6 LP owners here?

2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Yes, 7 sec seems a bit long time, but there are other engines with "bowl-up" filters, for instance Iveco´s. And when you have to switch filters in a crowded engine space, I love the empty bowls; there is no spill, ever. But still, your time to build working pressure, sounds weird. It might be a pressure control valve that is not closing fully, meaning that some oil is returned directly to the pan. With the system empty, this could lead to excessive evacuation time.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes some engines do have a check valve to hold the filter full.

Both engines identical problem?

The Yanmar 6LP rely solely on the anti drain valve which don't work.

The Toyota 1HD guys are screaming out for a M24 x 1.5 remote kit.

Ever made one? shouldnt be difficult to make one from the base plate of an old filter, then buy a duel filter.

4. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Frosty,

Anyone with a metric screw cutting lather(prob'ly the only kind you'll find over there :) ), or even an English lathe with the proper translating gears can cut this thread for you with no problem. That nut would take an experienced machine operator no more than an hour to make as it's just a tube with a cut down area that's threaded. Very simple. If you start with square or hexagonal bar stock (very common stuff, either one) then you'll be able to turn it with a wrench later.

You already know where I'm going with this: Buy a remote filter adapter! If you get a batch of the nuts made, you can sell the kit yourself and make a few dollars or pounds or whatever you get paid in over there :D

Jimbo

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

But??? Firstly you would need to machine and thread the filter converter take off to take an adapter to convert 24mm to say 28 to screw into the adapter.

I don't understand what the "nut "is for?

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I will be facing a similar exercise for my little kubota 3 cyl 21 hp genset which should arrive in a week, I will post the info on my build thread when and as... If you find a solution sooner please let me know...

7. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Sandwich adapters have no threads, Frosty. The whole trick is in the nut. The nut holds the thing on, carries the oil and secures the filter later. The adapter just has a smooth bored clearance hole that the nut passes right through. You should be able to take a sandwich adapter that fits diametrically and just get a nut machined to fit the oddball thread on your engine or filter. The adapters I showed you earlier from Flex-a-Lite (I believe that was the one) were this style, with a smooth bore clearance hole.

Jimbo

8. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Would you mind either showing that again or directing me to where I could see it. I'm a picture guy. For me a picture might be worth 2000 words. :)
    Thanks

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ok ive seen the sandwich adapter on the Flex o lite web site.

I would have to make a plate to simulate the filter to blank the top of the adapter off.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

All googling Flex o lite gives me is flexible sheets and glass reflective beads, anyone got the link for the oil filter adaptor?

11. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Here they are right here;

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/sandwich-adapters.html

Notice the smooth bore in the adapter casting with no threads. The nut threads over the existing threaded nipple to secure the adapter to the engine. Yes a flat plate would be needed to make this a remote adapter, but I bet with a little more searching we could find one already built that way.

Jimbo

12. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Look, I found some:

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/canton_oil_adapters.html

Scroll down to see the bypass style adapter that has a nut instead of a nipple and seal surface. It's as if they took a sandwich adapter and installed the flat plate for you so you won't need to bother with that part. That is the one you want. All you will have to do is get the proper nut made at a machine shop. You may also need to bore the clearance hole for the nut larger as you nut is larger in diameter. Not rocket science, though.

Jimbo

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Jimbo1490 - - "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jimbo1490 again." - - I tried:D:D

14. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Thanks Jimbo,
    It all becomes clear with a picture! :)

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

See those filter plates right at the bottom? well thats basically what you have in the filter, pretty well much the same, only steel.

Take one of those and weld a pipe on the hole of the centre of the plate. Then weld a 4 inch pipe,--- say 1 inch deep onto the outside of the pate.

Make a flat plate that goes over the the top of the pipe you have just welded on with the center pipe coming out of the middle. Weld all that up and you have an adapter. You then drill and weld a fitting on the outer pipe almost next to the inlet pipe. Oil adapter finished.

This is my plan, steam pipe and fittings from the plumbers shop.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.