Buccaneer 28 Trimaran plans.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. joonas

joonas Junior Member

Restoration of the plans

I've been working on the plans during the past week. Sheet 7 seemed to be the one in worst shape, so I started with that one. So far I have restored the profile view (except for sail plan and rigging), the front view, and approximately half of the plan view.

The sail plan and rigging is pretty badly faded and has also been modified (taller mast, new standing rigging and modified sails), but I think there are just enough details left to restore it.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Thank YOU.

Wayne

3. joonas

joonas Junior Member

Sheet 7

I finished the restoration of sheet 7 this weekend. I used an A3 printer and tiled printing software (the image is split over several smaller sheets that are joined together after printing) to produce a full size test print, and it looks fine to me. Six more sheets to go, so this is going to take a while! In the meantime, enjoy sheet 7.

Attached Files:

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Well done mate and thank you,

Looks the goods, just like a bought one ! ;)

5. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Well done mate!

Thanks

Wayne

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I have looked long and hard at both the 24 and the 28, the 24 is just a bit small.
    What would be the issues of closing up the frame spacings and building the 28 as a 26 ?

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Reuben. It's easier to shrink the 28 than it is to stretch the 24.

8. jamez

jamez Senior Member

9. basil

basil Senior Member

10. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Pretty damn good from my POV, but as a NC7.6 builder and now sailer I AM biased LOL.

Its one thing to buy and use (maybe improve and update) an existing boat, but building from scratch is always more expensive and time consuming. I would have gladly bought a B24 or 28 if a suitable 2nd hand example had been available before I started building, but when faced with a scratch build (largely due to a lack of existing alternatives) I felt I would get a better personal return for my time/money investment with Graemes design than anything else I considered (and there were plenty, from Hughes to Marples and most in between). I've yet to be disappointed with my choice.

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

scale tris

I have to agree with jamez- if you try to scale up a Buc 24, you lose its quick build advantage, and the B-28 is a very complex design, IMO, will not scale down very well. The forward part would become almost unuseable. My friend's "B-26" is a fine little tri, but the NC7.6 looks a lot better, and would not take any more effort to build.
    B

12. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I'm liking this boat Very Much !

13. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

33 update

I am posting on "folding system loads" details on my fold the B-33 project. Every thing looks as if it will work, and replace the alloy beams with fiberglass folding beams. Similar to the Scarab 32 design, but sized for the Buc 33. I expect about a 100 lbs or less weight gain, and the 33 should fold to under 11.5' for transport. A very similar system appears that it would work on the Buc-28:cool:
    B

14. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

33 question

On, (or in) my glass/foamcore B-33 that OS built back when he could remember things :D, most of the bulkheads are both glassed very well and then also have 1/4" bolts every 4". Is this normal, and why? It just looks like a lot of extra work and some extra weight.
    Also, the mast is a 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" very heavy section- about 340 lbs, 8.5 lbs a foot. It seems very heavy for the B-33. Why?
    B

Attached Files:

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Bruce. I don't know why Paul bolted those extra frame pieces on. we certainly didn't do it.
    Paul also supplied his own mast. I did not seem to have any bad effects, he won lots of races.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.