Buccaneer 28 Trimaran plans.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Got back to work today after a little break and a trip to mexico..

Last panel glued on, everything trimmed and flush. Got the fairing compound on all scarf joints. Busted out the Beltie (belt sander) with some 50grit and went to town on the chines and keel. Plan is to get them close then goto town with the longboard and get em perfect. Hopefully glassing next week...

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Glad you are back 2F2D.
    Now on with the completion.
    Please don't go too heavy on the glass/epoxy covering.
    Easy to add a lot of unwanted weight. :eek:

3. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Im going to do my best with this as weight is a great concern to me. the one good ama was only glassed below the waterline and on the chines but I think we are going to stick to the plans and sheath the whole ama (going to do this on the one good ama too). The good ama has held up for just being coated in epoxy but a single layer of glass just makes me feel better.

ama is 80% done with rounding of chines and keel and fairing. Ill finish up tomorrow I hope, as always the fairing is taking the longest to get a nice smooth even surface on problem areas and scarfs... she is looking great though! no camera at the moment.. sorry

4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Can't wait to see the photos. If you feel lazy and don't glass the upper float sides, it will still out last you. My 1/4 inch thick 24 is 38 years old, has no glass on the hulls, and is still in pretty good shape. The decks are glassed and I wish the main hull was glassed below the waterline, it would make bottom care easier. B

5. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

We had a marathon friday and saturday. I flowcoated the foredeck of the mainhull and got the primer on.

we glassed the ama bottom with 6oz and then applied 8oz tape to the keel, stem, and chine joints. decided not to glass ama sides to cut down the weight.

tomorrow, ill start all the fairing and recoating with epoxy...

enjoy the pictures... my new cell has a terrible camera. might be moving back to the digital cam soon.

Photo-0007.jpeg

Photo-0010.jpeg

Photo-0016.jpeg

Photo-0014.jpeg

1 person likes this.
  6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

This is really exciting.
    It's wonderful to see a Bucc 28 arising like a pheonix from the ashes --as it were. :eek:

7. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

welll.... I got another 3.5 coats of epoxy on (the half coat being I only coated the float bottom) and fixed a few staple holes I found.

here she is... sanded with 2part primer on. I wish I would have rounded the chines a little harder and with a plane instead of a damn belt sander but hey... it will work...

Photo-0018.jpg

Photo-0019.jpg

Photo-0021.jpg

8. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

sanded and faired half of one side of the other ama. I stripped the paint on the other half and will begin sanding and fairing it tomorrow.

some bad news today.... I was checking the bilges of the main hull and we have some rot on the bottom panels. The good news is that the keel and stringers are fine its just a few sections of the ply for about 8ft perhaps in random areas. devising a way to get her into the air (under the house) and start cutting the bottom panels out from the inside and put on some fresh marine ply. Wasnt expecting this but Im glad I found out when I did... :(:(

Photo-0030.jpg

Photo-0031.jpg

9. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Update...

other ama that came with boat is totally sanded, bottom/chines reglassed, and topsides are epoxy coated. the builder put these crazy trampoline slide tracks on. its triangular shaped with a solid wood block under it, epoxied and screwed into the topsides/gunnels and basically, its not coming off. tomorrow will be some sawing fun, albiet carefully!

Ama that we built is off the strong back and we are touching up the insides with some epoxy fillets and finish painting epoxy on some of the stringers. trying to get it ready for the deck! getting ready to build the aka (crossbeams) cradles. already have the SS threaded rod... so just have to finish all the sanding and fairing and work on the deck!!!!!!

the surfboard in the picture is a wooden surfboard Ive been building on the side from Grain Surfboards.... getting ready for glass :)

Photo-0038.jpg

Photo-0039.jpg

Photo-0034.jpg

Photo-0045.jpg

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

nice work!

Toofar, you are doing a really nice job on that float. Don't get too worried about the chines, your Buc is fast enough that the hard chines might be an advantage- they separate and shed water at lower speeds, and at higher speeds don't make any difference. I have several years of watching mine:) B

11. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Thanks Bruce!!!! Yea Im trying not to stress over it... its the semi perfectionist in me I guess..

Update!

Ama we built is now fully decked. Inspection port decks have been cut and epoxied on. Chainplate and chainplate backing plates are installed. Need to remove, overdrill the boltfills , fill with epoxy and redrill. The plans call for a second layer of 6mm (1/4") deck where the beam saddles are and those have been epoxied on and glassed over the top with some light 8oz to deal with any stress cracking. ama deck has first layer of epoxy rolled on for waterproofing.

Other ama is now almost 100% faired on hull topsides and bottom. Primer coming soon. Then Ill flip it and repair the rotten deck.

All beam saddles have been built and Im awaiting purchase of a bandsaw to get the cuts into them.

We decided to add some false transoms to the amas. Basically a totally clean nice section of ply epoxied over the existing one. Now we will sport white paint with a nice varnished transom on the amas, so the production boats/tris we fly by will know they are being passed by a wooden boat :D:D

deck2.jpg

false-transom.jpg

Photo-0056.jpg

Photo-0052.jpg

Trying to wrap this thing up!!!!

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Keep at it 2F2D.
    Soon you will have that boat looking like the one in my avatar. :cool:

13. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I had some rot in one of my hulls, where some unfinished business combined with a 10 year lay-off led to water damage. One technique I used was to work from inside, and scrape away all the muck right down to the glass, then I took a notched plastic trowel and trowelled in a layer of micoballoons. let it harden off. Then I sanded, which goes incredibly fast, then I screeded on some more micro balloons. End result was a solid even layer of syntactic foam, then I glassed. The great advantage to this method is that the outside layer with all the finish work is not disturbed, and it goes really fast. Probably works wherever you have glass but if your hull does not have glass, then you would use a different method. If you have a nice outer surface, you can make a cheap mold then then lay in glass syntactic foam, whatever, to get it back to where you need it. If it is flat I scarph in plywood.

I am a big believer in glassing everything that is in the weather on a wood boat. I have had some much better luck with it, it invariably saves me a lot of time down the road. I am even shifting a little to what I think of as the Oz style where they glass almost all the wooden surfaces as though the wood were virtually foam panels. Though not the vibe for the boat you are building. Most of my tri is glassed in 4 oz That has worked out surprisingly well. My boat has a poured in keel so you could wear a lot of the keel down before you hit wood. Boats built on stringers probably need more protection, but I think 4 oz works out pretty well elsewhere.

14. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions ThomD. Lucky for us, that hardchine bottom makes replacement pretty trivial (i hope :D). The major plus is that the keel appears to be intact and solid. When I get a chance to get the boat into the air, I will cut the panels out from the inside and clean up along the frames and stringers from the outside. I plan on beefing up the epoxy on the inside once everything is glued back on.

Here are some pics of the rear beam saddles I got installed last monday. Work has slowed dramatically as I have returned to the professional working world (much to my dislike! but it provides the income to get started on my own tri!!!!!) and it appears we are being rained out this weekend. Hopefully sunday will clear up and I can get the front beam saddles installed! Also, pics of our mast we just picked up and the bottom remains of the original Gougeon Wingmast from Adagio! The plans for the b28 call for a 36' stick. She was carrying a 40' wingmast!! We picked up a 38' mast that meets the dimensions spec'd.

beam saddles.jpg

IMG00171-20120922-1332.jpg

mast.jpg

saddles_cut.jpg

saddles_glued.jpg

15. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

latest pics.

its been a very long time and building season for us lowly outdoor builders is swiftly coming to a close... good news is the heavy bulk of work is done. some fairing here and there, repairing a cabin top frame/sistering in another frame, bottom repair, build a hatch... are pretty much all that is left. crap, still sounds like A LOT.

Ive purchased plans for my first trimaran and first boat I will build, a Richard Woods Strike18, which I hope to begin working on as soon as I secure a house with a garage in an area where sanding will not piss off the neighbors... which is becoming a rarity these days it seems. Pretty much building boats around here requires you be so far from the damn water Im starting to loose focus on the point.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

ama-deckpaint.jpeg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.