Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. sailrob

sailrob Junior Member

Interested in building a buccaneer 24. Just wondering what others would otherwise take with them for say a overnight trip or so. Probably better to ask in a different thread.

2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

volume

Rob, it is a small boat, so equipment has to be limited. Think "improved" camping style.
    As to what to take- I would take a good friend/wife that likes to sail and a credit card. All else can be worked out. :D
    B

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes. I did just that.
    I fitted a "Porta Sink". A plastic box like thing which carried it's own water, with a small pump which supplied the stored water to the sink for washing or drinking. That was available in the early 1970s, but I have never seen it again since. Along side of this I had a two burner alcohol stove. Worked fine for me. :D

4. sailrob

sailrob Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I would have to think about this one. Maybe a way of fitting it in the cabin at a later point in time would be a good idea for me. Building a boat like this will be more of a test of my stamina and available time to see if a larger boat build would be feasible in the near future or if it will come down to buying a bigger boat eventually. Also, the family likes a day sail but cruising on a boat is still in question!

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

If you build a B24 as a basic boat you can always fit it out to suit your needs later. No need for you to build it to a predetermined level of fit out right up front. Sail it for a while until you feel comfortable with some ideas of what you want.
    I built a Piver "Nugget",and sailed it before I really knew how it needed to be configured for sailing and sleeping with a family of wife and two teen sons.
    Eventually the final arrangements enabled us to sail every weekend in the Summer and sail away for two weeks during the holidays, for four years.

6. wiseolemule

wiseolemule Junior Member

Do you take PayPal for the Buc 24 Plans?

Ed

ebburns at yahoo.com

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes I insist on the use of PayPal. It is the most secure way to pay for both parties and costs the payer nothing. The small fee is paid by the receiver.
    Hope this helps. :D

8. wiseolemule

Thanks oldsailor7... what address should I use to order?

Ed

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

First you have to make a min of 5 posts on these forums. Then you will be able to send and reply by secure private messaging. :D

10. wiseolemule

OK I'll start by asking if the drawings include the information on extending the 24 to 28?

11. wiseolemule

What is the reason the hulls are set on an angle canted outward? What are the pros & cons for canting the hulls outward at a certain degree?

12. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Means you have a more balanced underwater shape, less distortion, to your leeward float - because of the B24's dihedral beam (leans over) - also gives you a fraction more beam.

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

The B24 plans are exactly as Lock Crowther drew them. If you want a 28' Tri, get the plans of the Buccaneer 28. There is NO advantage in stretching the B24 to 28ft. :cool:

14. wiseolemule

Thanks for the clarification Gary. Just curious!

15. wiseolemule

The 24 is about as big as I can afford... I was just curious an wanted to get my 5 posts in:D

Ed

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.