Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. rhys123

rhys123 New Member

Hey everyone

how viable is the B24 at ocean sailing, mainly island hopping

Thanks, Rhys

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Depends on how big your "Hops" are. :D

3. rhys123

rhys123 New Member

Well lets single it out to the biggest crossing, the Atlantic :D

is a 24 ft boat up to something like that?

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

James Wharram sailed the Atlantic in a catamaran which looked like two 24 ft boxes, and even smaller boats have done the same.
    I was prepared to sail from New York to Bermuda in a Bucc 24, having previously done it in a Kraken 40 and knew what to expect.

5. rhys123

rhys123 New Member

very true

6. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Little hops?

At my own personal comfort/skill level, I would be comfortable with "hops" that didn't involve more than two or three days on my 24, in areas that had good weather forecasting. Sort of class 2 coastal conditions. Only my own opinion!
    B

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes I quite agree.
    In the 1969 Bermuda race on board "Ringo" we were congratulating ourselves because at the rate we were sailing thru the Gulf Stream we expected to make Bermuda in 2 1/2 days.
    Alas , we were becalmed in the Bermuda Triangle for a whole day and then crept at 3kts the rest of the way into port, but still setting a multihull record of 4 days, at that time.
    So perhaps that can be considered a "Hop".

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Buccaneer 24 Trimaran plans are available again now.
    PM me if interested. OS7.

9. david78212

david78212 Junior Member

OS7 - do you own the copyrights... or are you just providing plans?

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

David,
    According to the Australian Copyright laws, the plans, being technical specifications and engineering dwgs, are long out of copyright.
    I own the plans and am entitled to do what I like with them.
    I include a disclaimer to that effect with every set of plans I ship.
    Hope this helps. OS7.

11. david78212

david78212 Junior Member

Yup, speaks volumes about what is going on...

12. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

plans

And you can certainly build a well proven boat from them. I used the set I got from OS to make some new bulkheads for my 40 year old 24, and they were an exact fit. Nice. :cool: There are very few things left that have 40 year product support. Bucs are special. :)
    B

13. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

The principle problem for disciples and fans of Lock Crowther's early boats - in fact his entire oeuvre - is that his family refuses to make the plans available.

And as OS will tell you, the cost of getting a set printed is not cheap, nor, as I've recently discovered, is it easy to find a scanning/print shop capable of scanning the large A-0 sized sheets used on the old design plans.

So the efforts of the US-based enthusiasts in getting the B28 plan set scanned and made available FOC via this forum is particularly heartening.

Hopefully one day OS will find a way to get his copy scanned and made available gigitally, but in the meantime, they are only available as paper copies, and so cost a bit in copying, printing and handling.

The price he asks for a set is in no way comparable with what they are 'worth', based on what other designers charge for their plans and is a 'nominal' sum which could not truly be called a 'profit'.

A small surplus would be a better description, and if that's what it takes to keep the B24 plans available, I don't think anyone should really complain.

It's not as though their publication is in any way preventing the original designer from making a quid.

His son could do so if he chose, but he does not do so. Nor will he allow anyone else to do so, as a few have asked and been refused, as I am lead to believe.

14. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

For those of you interested we have updated the website to include the work being undertaken on the Buc test mule at
    http://www.ezifoldyachts.com/Crowthe...storation.html
    This is a personal to us project inspired by Sam's Green Deth Trap (What a beast in skilled hands) however we will eventually make plans of the updates/rebuild available to all who might want a modern looking/performing Buc 24 if and only if all works out how we expect
    Happy new year everyone.

15. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

that link doesn't work....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.