Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ikimalu

ikimalu Junior Member

The mast and boom are stored safe. The sails which where almost new are missing. They will look for them, but I think they're gone. The mast is about 9 m. I don't know the size of a mast for a decent racing rig, so maybe we have to fit a taller version and perhaps also a rotating one.

2. ikimalu

ikimalu Junior Member

Question about frames for trailering

Are there any drawings or info about the support / frames or other options to secure a B24 on a trailer? I will have to move the B24 from his 'swimming' pool to our area. A distance of 150km (100 miles).

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

What king of trailer? The big thing is to have the wood dried out enough to get strength back in. I'd consider a trailer that is set up with 'bunk boards" 2"x 6"-8" inches mounted to brackets following the bottom contour,stretching lengthwise, to spread the load over the widest area of the soft wood. Similar caution for the amas though lieing on their sides they would get good support. So depending on what you find and have to use 2 trips might be needed for the soft wood.

4. cavalier mk2

For a flatbed trailer how about making Bucc horses. Use heavy construction ply for the webs and cut them out to fit the hull sections around main bulkheads. you'd need to make a forward and aft one. each would have 2 webs suitably reinforced and be about a foot and a half wide with studs spanning the hull cut out. Make the contour a sloppy fit and pad with old carpeting. The amas could have similar cradles or the same bucc horses with the ama supports built on the sides with the main hull carried higher.The keel should be blocked up at intervals.

5. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

My late father's B24, Twixt, had a 38 foot rig that was rotating. With it he could hold his own and beat the Banks 35 catamarans of the day.

Attached Files:

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Robbie.
    Thats a great shot of your Dads Bucc. He obviously fitted the alternate spade rudder.
    I hope the Earthquake and Sunami just off your coast didn't affect you.
    The media were rabbiting on about it possibly affecting Hawaii, so it must have been felt on your coast. :eek:

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Buc support

The floats remove quite easily, just four nuts each, and will sit on supports made from a few lumber yard boards set as a 90 degree (45 Deg) each side. A 90 degree V. The two floats, side by side on a small flatbed (with a long draw bar) are only about 5 feet wide, and once dry less than 200 lbs each. The main hull has a narrow flat down the middle that will sit on a single center board or on a few rollers set properly. The crossbeams are usually removable at the cabin, and if they are stuck, could be cut at the joint with a sawzall with little damage (use a thin blade) I can provide more details if you need them, I transport my 24 a couple of times a year. B

8. SpiritWolf15x

Truth be told I was at the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra mid way through some Mozart when it supposedly happened, I didn't feel a thing. I'm beginning to think it all a big lie lol.

And yeah, Twixt had a, rather small, spaded rudder. As dad used to say, it was a "slow speed maneuvering" device only, as it was hardly ever in the water once he got going. =P

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

rudders

OS, I know you are a believer in the under hung rudders, but my transom hung rudder has never ventilated- I have great control in all conditions. I suppose it has some more drag than the bottom mounted ones, but mine is balanced and very effective, and doesn't seen to hurt performance very much. It is not special either, I used a production blade off a Catalina 22 that was hanging in my shop. I can build much better and lighter. It is also a kick up style that allows beaching while being deep enough to work well when down. The under mount rudders seem to require a plate on the bottom to remain sort of effective when the Bucs are "powered up", and that has got to be draggy also. I am going to stick with my transom mounted one. B

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Bruce, I had a transom mounted rudder on my B24 and it worked just fine.
    I had a spade rudder on my B28 and I had some instances where it stalled out resulting in a wild broach to windward.

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Rudder location

I have noticed a lot of turbulence behind the dagger board and aft as the main hull starts to lift that extends at least half way to the transom. I suspect it could stall a rudder under there, while the transom hung rudder is enough farther aft and deeper into solid water. B

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes Bruce, I think you are right.
    I also had three fences on my rudder, made of thin 1/2" angle alloy, screwed
    on with countersunk head SS screws. One just below the waterline,one halfway down the rudder and the last one 8" above the tip. In choppy conditions you could actually see the fences spinning off entrained air pulled down from the surface. Much less draggy than a big fat end plate. :D

13. SpiritWolf15x

My B33 has a spaded rudder and I cannot sail faster than 12-13 knots before it starts cavitating and I loose control. It's quite annoying because the boat "should" be able to do 20knots without issue.

14. cavalier mk2

Check the rudder shape and section......are your bows down? Lee helm-weather helm? Stock rig? If the sail area is too far forward it could contribute to the problem by getting the boat off its lines when powered up.

15. SpiritWolf15x

Bows aren't down and despite having a 49ft rig, due to a old small main and old sails, it's pretty much only using the stock rig size, 40ft masthead sloop.

The pic is what shape my rudder is.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.