Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Igenova.
    From the pics of your hull panels it looks like you have gone for a plumb bow and an extended stern.
    There are many on this thread who are interested in these particular mods. I wonder if you can keep us up to date with pics or perhaps drawings of your intended changes. Would be much appreciated. :D

2. lgenova

lgenova Junior Member

Buc 24 Mods

Ok Oldsailor,

Insofar as I am building, I'll post the photos.
    The modifications also provides the use of a beam made ​​of plywood instead of the aluminum tubes.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Now this is really getting interesting. :D

I hope you will post all this on the Buccaneer 24 builders forum

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Any news of progress :?:

5. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

Bucc #173 back in the water

Looking forward to learning the ropes. After installing a new (vertical) dagger board trunk, everything went together pretty easily. First couple of sails have been a dream. The Bucc seems to be very easily handled, is predictable when sailing through a mooring field, and really steps out when she smells a breeze.

I'll post a few more pics when I clean things up a bit. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.

Attached Files:

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

What a smart looking Bucc.
    I really like your full batten main.
    What mast section are you using. ?
    Congratulations. :D

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Nice Buc

Congrats HH, It looks good. I like the color too, it makes mine look very plain:( How high does it float unloaded? It looks light in the photo. I hope you post some more pics:cool: B

8. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Tow in

While I am here, does anyone have any comments on "towing" the floats in or out? (bow to stern) I seem to remember seeing a post somewhere discussing advantages, but I don't recall the details. B

9. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Bruce,

It's ‘‘toe in ~ out’’ like in automotive. I didn't see it on the bucc threads but could have missed it.

Gary has ‘‘3° toe in’’ on the vertical foil area of Sid, see post #226 of his thread.

Good luck !
    Angel

10. Angélique

Oh, and in an other thread Gary answered about B24 angled foil fitting and 2° foil toe in, see post #36 of ‘‘22 - 24 trimaran’’.

Cheers,
    Angel

11. Angélique

As a bare ama doesn't provide any or at least not much leeway prevention I wouldn't give it toe in as you need another source of leeway prevention anyway.

Just for info about ama board and foil toe-in in relation to history...

I posted here about leeboard dimensions, shapes and wing profiles and toe in on Dutch barges which is kinda similar to the leeway prevention part of the foil job in the ama's of a tri.

See the toe in and the wing profile producing extra force against leeward motion.

Below: V = speed of the boat - - F = force by the water on the board

[​IMG] - [​IMG] - pic source
    - - - - - - - click above two pics to enlarge

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

Click in this page on the "thumbs", then on "full screen", then on "+ enlarge", then use the "drag function" to see the profiles enlarged.

Put the URL's of above links in here if you want to read the text, but don't be surprised of funny translations of the jargon . . :D

Cheers,
    Angel

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  12. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

auto spell wins again

Sorry, I didn't proof that:rolleyes: Angel, I already have angled boards that do have some toe! in, but I am interested in the floats on fast tris. (not barges or foils;) ) There is some "play" in my float attachments, and when I assembled the boat this time, one float is toed out, and one a little bit in. The boat definitely sets up differently on each tack, but I haven't figured out which is "best", or just wrong. I can easily straighten it out, but got to wondering if there are some advantages or not. B

13. Angélique

The toe in of the boards in your ama's works the same as on a barge. The differences you now have in port and starboard ama toe in~out enlarges and decreases the ama board toe-in relative to the main hull. If want to know the effect of the ama toe in~out separated from the above effect then best pull up the ama boards and use the centerboard alone. Comparing this with using the ama daggers and centerboard up might also give some info about whether more or less ama board toe in is desirable or not.

Good luck !
    Angel

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  14. Angélique

Oh, don't worry, any discussion will evoke more discussion / info, so others please step in . . . . :)

So, float ‘‘toe in’’ or ‘‘out’’ or ‘‘straight’’ what is best and why . . . . ? ? ?

Cheers,
    Angel

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

My old sailing mate Jimmy Keogh is totally in love (to the point of unhealthiness, just imo) with Bali and has spent much time there. He made sure he went sailing a number of times on the jacundas, Balinese double outriggers, which have long bamboo floats ... and some have toed in floats - and some toed out - and according to Jim, both types sail to windward extremely well; (there is no central hull board, just the steering rudder, oar) so the very long yet not high volume floats (although they use large diameter bamboo) get pressed down to be flush, or below the water surface - and that is their anti-derive, as the French say and also their power - AND (there are no rules) as mentioned, some toe in others toe out, depending on the locality and the local fashion of the double outriggers.
    Angelique, I think Bruce was more concerned with floats than foil toe in ... and I've just confused the issue.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.