Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

2. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

B24 riding out a storm

I guess these days are for dreaming :)

ANZ151-153-131015-
    PENOBSCOT BAY-CASCO BAY-
    314 PM EST WED JAN 12 2011

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

.TONIGHT...N WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. GUSTS UP TO 45 KT... DECREASING TO
    40 KT LATE. SEAS 9 TO 14 FT SUBSIDING TO 7 TO 10 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SNOW THIS EVENING WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS...THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW
    SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

Attached Files:

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Despite the snow and ice in the US and the floods and Cyclone(Hurricane) in Aus,:eek: ---- Buccaneer 24 plans are still available. :D Just PM me if interested. OS7.

4. diegokid

diegokid Junior Member

Nd

Looks like North Dakota in the spring time.

5. farjoe

farjoe Senior Member

Back to Mast Building Again

Gary,

thanks for the excellent building description you gave earlier. I am thinking of building an 11m version. The skins will have to be 4mm since no 3mm ply is available around here.

What is the thickness of the front stringer?

I am thinking of adding a set of spreaders to help keep the mast in column with suitable beefing up in the areas of connection.

Is this a idea doomed to failure?

All opinions are welcome. Constructive ones preferred.

Regards

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Farjoe, the front (also the trailing edge for the mast track) stringer just has to be stiff enough to not "rib cage" between the frames when the 4mm skin is glued and stapled; suggest a light timber like white cedar or paulownia or whatever is available to you, 20x15mm or thereabouts ... also the leading edge section has to be gently rounded - because it becomes the wing front.
    If your wing design has a decent sized chord, say 450 -500mm, then you'll naturally end up with enough thickness/stiffness to not use spreaders ... but you'll need lowers as well as your usual shrouds. If you have block and tackle stay systems, you can not only cant the rig but can tweak the whole rig setup to whatever you desire.
    You're not doomed to failure; wing mast/soft sail are old school now ... because over here everyone is a buzz and raving about full wing rigs on the AC45's.

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I was Locks USA and Canada agent from 1966 to 1977.
    The B24 outsold all of his other designs. Many hundreds were built.
    I have never heard or read about one of these tris capsizing or pitchpoling.
    If anybody has, we would like to hear about it----with details. :eek:

8. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

news flash- Two Bucs!

The really nice Buc "26" that was in Florida has been sold- and an old acquaintance of mine has bought it and is bringing it to Lake Lanier, where I sail- we should both have our Bucs in the water in about a month. Thanks to this forum, he found me and we will have a photo shoot once we have both boats sailing. His Buc looks to be very well built and kept, I am looking forward to seeing it in person. I will post some pics of the 26 soon. B

9. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

A Bevy of Bucs Eh!!

10. B26Trimaran

B26Trimaran Junior Member

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

tramps

The 1/4" cable on the out-board edge of my tramp broke when two 200 lbs crew jumped aboard at the same time. (It was old) I think the tramp and fittings should be able to carry at least 4 adults (800 lbs?) as most of the crew will end up on one side when sailing. I have replaced all my tramp lacing and support rigging with dyneema for this season. Expensive, but losing a crew through the tramp really messes up your day, and they complain a lot if the water is cold:rolleyes: B

12. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

tramp +

BTW, that is 800 lbs jumping- think spinnaker take downs and other activities. Also, on a design like the Buc, the tramps provide a good deal of stiffness to the boat. I can really tell a difference when mine are kept tight, and the boat might not be safe without the diagonal support the tramps provide. B

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

" and the boat might not be safe without the diagonal support the tramps provide."

I don't think any consideration should be given to structural support by the nets. They are a non structural item.

If you have triangular nets at the bows, the outboard wire supporting the nets
    has a structural effect in taking some of the rearward horizontal load off of the forward crossbeam and this is transferred to the aft beam by the outboard wire supporting the main nets.

Thats all.

Without any nets or wires the crossbeams and their attachments are quite capable of handling all the loads.

Lock Crowther was an aeronautical engineer before he switched to electrical and then yacht design.

He told me that he used a safety factor of six in all his design calculations.

14. B26Trimaran

B26Trimaran Junior Member

Dyneema

So what size of Dyneema do you use?

What is the average length of line used on each side?

http://www.westmarine.com/1/3/amsteel-dyneema-single-braid

15. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

tramps

OS7, I am going to argue that- but I might be wrong:(. my boat is/was probably a lot more worn than any you have seen. (30+ years in the water) The cross beam joints were quite loose, and when the tramps were not tight, the movement got quite alarming, up and down, and fore and aft- particularly on the leeward (loaded) float. The wooden connectors had been tightened, but the inner cross beams had become bell-mouthed and allowed too much play. (I now have alloy pipe connectors) The same forces are there on a tight boat and you don't see the play, but I think the tramps are important. I suspect keeping the tramps tight helps prevent the wear, and I find tight tramps are more comfortable also. Mine are not nets, they are a mesh material much more shape stable. Several of the newer tri designs use a diagonal wire under the tramp to help carry the loads, probably not a bad addition. I don't think Crowther anticipated the life span of some of these old boats, and the size and power of our current sails. B ---B26, I didn't find any useful video on the u-tube link, what am I missing?--

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.