Buccaneer 24 Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Samnz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

crossbeams

Thanks, the 28's tubes are about an inch larger than the 24's, and a little shorter. My 24 uses 3/8 bolts also, so I guess they are a bit over done, though anything smaller tends to strip so easily I would not trust them. The 28 appears to be about twice the size of the 24- a whole lot more boat. Bruce

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes.
    I built two Buccaneer 28's---one for myself.
    It was a great boat. We used to cruise it with four people and in twenty four races over a two year period it took 21 firsts 2 thirds and a 2nd place, racing on Lake Ontario. It was the best Trimaran I have ever owned. :D

Unfortunately I was stupid enough to let the plans go when I sold it.

3. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

did you ever race against an equally well setup and sailed 24? if so how did they compare % wise? Do you know the dry weight (no sails or crew)?

4. Sea Stallion

Sea Stallion Junior Member

My boat originally came from Ontario but was built somewhere around Bay City, MI I believe and in the early '80s. The plans came with my boat. It also had a composite wing mast and sail that were formerly on Adagio. Same boat?

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

28 cost

Oldsailor, How did construction time and cost compare between the 24 and 28? Bruce

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes. Another member of our club built one in parallel with me. Took him a bit longer though. Two boats were identical except I had my Jib sheet angles narrower and a bigger vertical daggerboard. As a result I could always beat him on the windward leg. Cannot remember the weight. After all it was 36years ago.

7. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

Sorry I meant race your 28 against a 24? or anyone ever raced a bucc 24 vs a bucc 28 with equal sails and crew skills?

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I guess the answers NO.

9. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Anyone near Newcastle?

I met a bloke with a Bucc 24 that needs a lot of work. If I were to get it I would cut the cabin off and just go day racer with it. It has sails and a rig but you need to be near here to get it. The guy is a nice guy who doesn't want it to die. He seems ready to let it go if someone will do the work. The boat is out of the water at the mo.

If anyone near Newcastle NSW feels this could be them get back to me.

cheers

Phil Thompson

10. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

buc 24 Newcastle

Hi I am Interested in that buc 24 can you send contact no? Also I have buc 28 plans if anyone needs them

11. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

buc 28

Does the buc 28 have the same minor design problems as the 24? That is it would benefit from the same tweaking that has proven to be effective on the 24's. Personally I think the 33 is the most elegant of the Buc series. No hope it seems of getting plans on that model though. I wish there was an enterprising Naval Architect who would draw up some inspired hybrid designs based on these boats. My cheque is in the mail.

12. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Newcastle Bucc

Zigzag

You would have to be able to chop up the boat - it has fixed composite beams. The guy really wants to be able to see it go sailing so I would say Hong Kong is too far. Also it does require a fair bit of work.

13. stancil

stancil New Member

buc 28

zig zag

I'm interested in the buc 28 plans. Talk to me. I'd send you a pm but have to post more first.

I'm looking to build a tri in the 28 to 34 foot range. I like the crowther lines and the ply construction.

14. gpb

gpb Junior Member

I'm seriously thinking to buy a set of plans. However, I'm not sure that I understood which are the suggested modifications to improve the design... Anyone cares to list them? Thx!

15. zigzag

zigzag Junior Member

buc plans

In reference to buc plans and modifications. I assume that the tweaking may be applied to the 24 and 28, Oldsailor has much experience and note also the mods to the buc 24 Miranda in NZ,ref 23/11/08 posting. Read through the buc 24 postings and previously the 24' trimarans postings. Oldsailor advocates extending the floats forward
    Miranda has an extended stern, and mods to the rudder /centreboard are suggested. Seems a lot of time has passed and many boats have been built that these comments are highly valid. In the finish however one would have a very fast tri. I have also heard the buc33 had a tendency to pitch so perhaps a modification of the stern goes for all. Perhaps we could get Oldsailor to put it all on a drawing for a cost of course.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.