Easily trailerable catamaran weekend boat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by cluttonfred, May 23, 2019.

1. cluttonfred

cluttonfred Junior Member

I have been considering a small, easily-trailerable (so about 8’ beam, no unfolding or extending) catamaran for daysailing four or occasional overnighting for two.

Right now I am looking at Chat 18 by Richard Woods and Weekender by the late Thomas Firth Jones.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of those two boats and/or suggestions of other designs to consider?

Cheers,

Matthew

PS—I would actually prefer a cat rig with just one sail and I am open to other styles like spritsail or standing lug.

24BA7CF1-AA3F-46FA-BB75-D354B0532AB3.jpeg D43C8D5B-C831-4C1D-B8D8-66860901F5D5.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. oldmulti

oldmulti Senior Member

Hi
    Consider the Jarcat 5 meter or Jarcat 6 meter. Both are reasonable sailing boats. The 6 meter has more room and is faster. Jarcats are really well engineered and are simple of build.

Niclas Vestman likes this.
  3. Onefish

Onefish Junior Member

You could look at Selway Fisher's 1i' Hawk design. It's a neat looking design and looks very economical and easy to build.

4. lucdekeyser

lucdekeyser Senior Member

The simplest may be Denney's E25 with optional camper pod.

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Think payload. The Weekender has only a little more then half the payload of the Chat (about 205kg vs 380). So if you want to day sail 4 adults at say 80kg each, on the Chat you still have some spare for an anchor, cooler, outboard etc and stay within the designed payload. On the Weekender you would be well over the payload allowance of around 205kg. Safety considerations aside the extra weight on the Weekender will likely effect its sailing ability - simply it is not designed for the load you intend to carry.

The Chat has a sit in cockpit and will be a more comfortable boat to use. A jib is handy on a cat as it facilitates tacking. If its on a furler you can operate it from the cockpit.

Another alternative, it has more cabin vs cockpit than the Chat.
    ECOpage https://ikarus342000.com/ECOpage.html

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Niclas Vestman likes this.
  6. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

The E25 has a 4m beam so would need to be assembled, which is probably quick but isn't what the OP asked for.

There are several mini bridgedecks about that fit the formula. Double shuffle is another possibility:

Plans for the Double Shuffle catamaran http://teamscarab.com.au/5.6cat/design.html

Personally the J6 is one of my all time favs. Plans are cheap, you can use a beach cat mast and mainsail, just get an oversize jib made up. Center of effort is low and aft so capsize is difficult and I like the interior layout. Goodness knows they are well proven.

You could build ulua as a catamaran. It's take some reworking and it's strip, but it'd make a fantastic expedition catamaran. Tent on the bridgedeck, portapotty in one hull. Crabclaw ring :D

2c

fallguy likes this.
  7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I am partial to Woods and biased as hell. What I like about him is he will critique his own designs; help you tweak a dislike. I'd email him if I were you and ask him to compare his to others here. Richard has been patient as hell with me and I am not sure if he should get the title Sir or Saint.

A foam build will take a lot longer; just be aware. Ply is much faster.

8. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

That's a coincidence! For the last few weeks I have been trying to decide what our next boat should be. And I have now decided that a Chat 18 would suit us well. Ideal for day sailing, no racing, in Plymouth Sound in the summers.

It will be a bit of time before I can start as we are still wintering on board a 36ft catamaran in St Augustine Fl and we need to sail it back to its owners before I fly back to the UK end of March. When I startthe build it will be partly to develop the kit boat so I expect it will not be before the end of summer before its finished. (A Dutch homebuilder took 5 months to build his, mine will be built quicker)

Thanks Fallguy!! Your comment shows it always a good idea to use a designer who is still active and can reply to questions

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.