Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

compressed not folded

Warwick, Not yet. In the picture, the boat is just in the dismounted trailering form. I bring the floats in and remove the outer cross tubes- leaving it at about an 8' beam (under the legal road width). My current system would not work on a stock 24 with a cabin. I have finished the bottom now and the boat is back on its trailer-I hope to have some time to work on the folding system before I launch it, at least take some accurate measurements.
    The bottom is in the best shape yet:), and I am going to launch in about two weeks. It should be fast this season.
    Bruce

2. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Hopefully a fast season this year and next season will be even faster when you have your folding idea working, less time getting onto the water.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Just for the record I built my B24 strictly according to the plans, with 4 1/2" tube for the mast, and the SS fittings as per the plans. Standard sail track was riveted to the mast, which was non rotating. Worked well for me and I even raced it like that.

4. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

Kiss

OS7, i agree. it is tempting to 'upgrade' but in the end if i was to replace my broken rig with the same, and keep to the stock sails i will continue to be happy. Never hurts to explore options... :p

5. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Sounds great bb keep up the good work she is going to be great when back in the water, all paint is off the buc in the workshop now and we have someone working on the new dagger style rudder foil again, once tried and accepted as working as designed we will make a set of split molds and the first out of the mold will go onto our buc test platform, as it is a working plug we haven't bothered to infuse or vac bag the laminates just choosing to recess the laminate area's and go with the trusty peel ply hand laminating method, it should be a great rudder foil if all the numbers are correct only time in the water will tell, little steps make up the journey. pic's in the folder http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.370039466402701.84398.212821925457790&type=3

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I still have one set of Buccaneer 24 trimaran plans left. Unchanged details. :cool:

7. outside the box

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Your new high aspect ratio rudder will have a good L/D ratio, however high aspect ratio foils stall at a lower angle of attack than lower aspect ratio ones.
    Since rudders usually achieve higher angles, especially when countering a sudden strong gust, this can be bad news for a stalled rudder.
    IE: Wild Broach. (Don't ask me how I know. :eek:)
    For more info on Rudder aspect ratios I can only recommend reading the AYRS book 79, "Rudder Design for sailing craft". It's a mine of information.

9. rcracing2

rcracing2 Junior Member

Well yesterday was a fairly epic day. We got the buc down to the water on Sunday afternoon Annas then stood the rig and motored the 14 nm or so to its new home. I was very hesitant cause it was straight into a 20 knot headwind and whilst the bay is reasonably protected there was ocean swells from the distant cyclone still pushing in so it was a very confused sea. Anyway after about 2.5-3 hours of being slammed we finally made it. I've got to do a lot of work yet but its finally out of my shed and sitting on its trailer about 100m metres from the water! I'm pretty confident its strong enough now after yesterday. The way we were going through the waves if it was going to break, it would've yesterday! Pictures will follow over the next coupe of days. A big thanks to all who post on this forum. The confidence I got from reading what others were doing was immense.

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Congrats RC

It sounds as if your Buc is just about back- and strong! Nice progress. You will enjoy sailing it a lot more than motoring;) B

11. rcracing2

rcracing2 Junior Member

20130315_112418.jpg

20130311_122606.jpg
    Couple of photos finally. One was taken this morning with the boat on the trailer and the other was taken on Monday morning after we arrived at the boat ramp. Still lots of little things to do before I can sail her. Tomorrow will entail removing the foil tape off the head sails and replacing with hanks. Still have to set up the main sheet and a few other ropes.

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

RR2, That looks great and does credit to your workmanship. :D

13. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Back and looking good!

Nice job putting another 24 back in proper condition.
    B

14. outside the box

Thanks for that OS7 will keep it in mind for future designs, the rudder has been specifically designed for the Buc size range of Multi so will be fine Tom and the co-designer esp has over 3000 yachts in the water so am sure his perusal would have picked up any problems but again thank you for the reference material will be sure to check it out.
    updated photo's of progress are in the usual spot.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.370039466402701.84398.212821925457790&type=3
    Have a great weekend everyone.

15. rcracing2

rcracing2 Junior Member

finally went sailing!

P3300318.jpg

2013-03-28_17.04.04.jpg

P3300316.jpg

P3300310.jpg

P3300300.jpg

Here is a few photos from the Easter weekend. We left the boat ramp to late on Thursday afternoon and ended up spending the afternoon hi and dry in the creek channel. The weather was just perfect and on Saturday morning we went for a sail. We set a full main and the cruising jib (smaller than a 3 but larger than a 4) and driftedaround for a while till the south easterly finally kicked into gear. It got to around 15 knots and we were doing high 7's upwind. The weather helm was a killer so we put a reef in and that settled the boat nicely. Speed was basically unchanged and after 10 mins or so it wad time to reach back to our holiday house. Still with the reef in or top speed was 12.1 knots. My 19 month old daughter had a ball bouncing around on the tramps and even taking the helm at one point(no wind). It was great to finally go sailing again! The sails had quite a few stains even though they have been neatly folded in storage. Sorry for any spelling errors. I am typing on my phone.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.