Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Folding the Buc

It seems to be possible, and without changing too much. No new engineering, I have copied everybody:) It is easier to do when you are building, but could be done to any tri with crossarms. I will post with progress, this is a "proof of concept" and I am now building a full scale prototype. Soon:cool: B

Attached Files:

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Looking good Bruce.
    Would that work on the B24 with the tubular beams?. Or would it have to be square section tubing. ?

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

materials

OS, I am planing on using the outer pipe beam sections that I have. I will probably use square or rectangular tube for the extentions and the cross compression tube as they are lighter and easier to attach. Of course, there are much lighter materials, but I can trust the strength of the alloy, I don't have to design and build beams, and I have these now:) This is a KISS type project. The folding arms, while definitely stiffening the beams, are not intended to change the load paths in the boat structure and are light weight . I will still have waterstays, although I am planing on using 1/2" vectran or dyneema. I am leaving the stainless attach points and can go back to the stainless stays if I feel I need to. The folding system will add around 50 lbs, maybe less if my numbers are correct. I want to add the cabin at the same time, but I also want to sail instead of build boats:rolleyes: B

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Heres a bit of trivia I picked up.
    In 1984 or 85, Tony Considine,Tony Grainger and boatbuilder Wayne Barrett, hit a channel marker preparing for the Marley Point overnight race and tore off one side of the main hull of Tony C's Crowther Buccaneer 24 Tri, "Silverbird".

Undeterred, they got the boat back to shore, put out a call and about 30 guys turned up and carried the boat into the carpark with the rig still in place.
    Wayne Barrett went to work under instruction from the budding multihull designer Tony Grainger and repaired it that day by drying it out with a camp fire
    underneath, then gluing, fibre-glassing and screwing new ply onto her.

The 30 guys returned next morning, carried the boat back to the water and re-launched it ready to race that morning.
    They went on to win line honours in the multihull division of the Marley Point race.

Goes to show what can be done in a days work. :D

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sounds good Bruce.
    1/2" rope or even wire will give you much more water drag than the flat bar, although I guess they wont drag much in the water on smooth water days.

My Buc 28 had 5/16" 1/19 SS waterstays, with adjustable turnbuckles and they worked just fine.

6. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Bruce, your folding system looks good, a bit like the folding mechanical shovel, in principle its well proven, just keep an eye on the weight, will be interested to see how it pans out, do you know the folded width.

I did look at what's out there on composite chain plates, they appear pretty easy to fabricate although I like to work from plans/materials etc if possible - is there any possibility of you posting your info/plans on the composite chain plates, its no problem scaling them up or down.

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

put a fire under it?

I think building a fire under your wooden boat has to be a highlight of that story. B OS, the 1/2" is overkill, and if I find some 3/8" vectron, I will downsize- I just had some 1/2" available. I know that the flat bars have less drag if the water hits them on edge, but I have watched through the tramps, and they usually seem to be at a quartering angle of attack, throw lots of spray, and get me wet. I don't think the wire or synthetic line will have any more drag in real conditions. I wish I could do without them, but everything gets heavier and much more complicated if they are replaced by structure and still allow the boat to fold. B

8. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

9. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

This is a article first published in 'Sefaring Magazine' Latitudes and Attitudes and meant for US readers - you guys out there might find it interesting - I beleive the author is Richard Woods (Woods Designs) ..........Sailing in the UK.......

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/sailinginuk.htm

10. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

I know what a Dalek is. What the Dickens is a Darlek? Google claims it is a phonetic spelling of Dalek.

11. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Check it out at the BBC DOCTOR WHO website - it might be a spelling mistake ?

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===============
    What a great story! Thanks ,Patrick.....

13. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

gypsy 28, has the weather improved, have you done any more work on your Buc ?

I now have 5 frames edged out for the main hull, 5 remaining, I will wait untill I have edged all 10 frames and then thorouhy wet them out before adding the skins.

14. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

chainplates

John, I have copied some posts from this forum and a couple of others for chainplate design. I have also have a copyrighted plan that I can't post, but they are all very simple. If it looks strong enough, it is probably over built-the weak point in a stainless plate is usually the clevis pin hole, and almost anything you do in carbon or even glass is far stronger. I will look through my notes and see if I have something I can post. I have tested one that I made up out of scraps, I have a 10 ton pull ram and I couldn't break my layup. I think I had about 4 layers of 3" wide carbon uni folded together into a 1" strip. Very tough stuff:) B

15. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Width folded

My model measures in just under the legal towing limit- 8'6" here in the states. I don't know if I will really get it that tight, the folding arms have to be just about perfect for it to work. The towing restrictions are not enforced too heavily in the southern USA, and a 10' wide permit is inexpensive and not very restrictive. I think it will be a wait and see how it comes out. B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.