Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Yes OS, I have made a few enquires and the Hurricane 5.9 will be my donour boat for want of a better word. I have a time 'window' as there is no immediate rush to purchase one, I will just keep my eyes scanned in the magazines etc. after purchase what parts are left over will be resold.

I am quite excited because I personnaly feel this rig is ideal for the Buc, I much prefer a fractional rig to a masthead and this one has many adustments for trimming mast & sails, three sails hoisted and flying 477sq.ft of sail is a good start...:D

2. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

'Days gone by'

This is Brighton Marina on the south coast of the UK which brings back many fond memory's for me - I owned a heavy displacement yacht for several years, three of which it was kept at Brighton Marina the other three years was on the Solent, as you can imagine I made many trips along the south coast of Brighton visiting and staying at several locations and several trips across the channel to France, sometimes spending 2 or 3 days in a French Marina, we are lucky here in the UK as France is a relativly short passage from one country to another although the sea's can be quite steep, you can easily loose sight of the horizon in the deep trough's, the huge freight containers and oil ships up and down mid channel can also be quite intimidating as there is two shipping lanes to cross, when arriving at a foreign port, passports to be at hand, and a different language to be spoken, always gives one great satisfaction in doing the passage/job yourself and a sense of achievement which is imensly fulfilling.

The forum is quite, I hope I am not boring to many people - just reflecting on days gone by...........

You Tube / brighton marina uk (nunes1958)/ Brighton Jock.wmv

3. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Well finally my West system epoxy etc arrived after waiting for ever, the couriers had lost it and the supplier had to send another batch. I can move on now and start glueing up frames, all my timber has been ripped to size as has my hardwood planks.

I will post pictures of progress but I am slow and methodical so these might be some time coming, hope you enjoyed Brighton and the Marina, fantastic place if you have a boat, a hub of activity.

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Lol John.
    I lived in Woodingdean for three years at one time in my murky past. Our house was situated up the hill, and from my bedroom window I looked directly down into the Girls "Finishing School"--Roedean. :D
    Used to go dancing in Brighton with a redhead called Joan. She taught me to "Jive" (amongst other things) ----but then we moved to Nottingham, and that was that.
    No thoughts of sailing at that time..
    OK, back on topic. :eek:

5. diegokid

diegokid Junior Member

On Topic

So ya like redheads huh?;)

6. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

OS are you still after plans on the Piver Nugget, DN Goodchild website is listing a 8 page booklet, I assume it gives details/measurements on building the boat - Pub No 5172 @ $7.95

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thanks John. I have the information I want now. I am not really considering building a Nugget. Lol. :D

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Actually I prefer Brunettes. Redheads are a bit too Hot for me. :D

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Redheads and jibs?

Hey! Be nice to us-I married a brunette but I at least USED to be a redhead. It is tough being "hot". :D John, that rig looks good if the sails are heavy enough. You will like the full battens but the Buc has a lot of righting moment and uses its sails pretty hard. Maybe have an extra reef or two installed. Just plan on a larger jib (at least if you ever get any light air where you sail). I have tried a stock Hobie 16 main on my boat and it worked pretty well, although it was a bit stretchy for heavy air. A H-18 rig would be a decent choice also. B

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Gee it's so nice to get back to the comfort zone of this thread after a bumpy ride on the "Americas Cup: what s next?" thread. :eek:

11. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Americas Cup in Bucc 24's, now thats an idea ;)

12. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

LOL. :D That would be great.
    They could hold it INSIDE Toronto harbour. :cool:

13. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Hey Bruce, the H18 would be a alternative, but I am pretty well set on Hurri 5.9 - we do have days where the sails hang like wet washing on a line but most of the time its windy, most sailing boats here over 20ft have roller reefing jibs, (a hankercheif to a large genoa) because the winds are variable and changing, that would be a option for the Buc, but for the time being I will plod on with the stock (3 sails) Hurri 5.9 rig - thanks Bruce

14. John Jolly

John Jolly Senior Member

Any guys out there from the UK who want a hot little number for the summer ........(this one isn't Blonde or Brunette) ........

I have a Hobie 14 Turbo " :cool: " on trailer for sale, it will need collecting from Kent, please PM me if you are interested, no time wasters please.

OK back on thread..........

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

John. What are you using to fasten your ply skins to the wooden members. ?

Brass, bronze, S.S.---screws, ringnails, staples, ??? :?:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.