Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

IMG_3586.JPG
    I've sure been enjoying mine this season! Here we are getting back to the slip in front of a storm.

Doug Lord and Corley like this.
  2. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

Awesome, boat looks great as always.

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Great (and scary) photo. Very nice, Fred.
    Bruce

4. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Should my jib be taller to reach the top of my mast? Probably bigger all the way around, huh?

IMG_3539.JPG

5. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Well Fred, I would call that a heavy air jib. Not wrong, but you are giving up a lot of performance. I have purchased quite a few good sails from "Masthead Enterprises" in Florida, at very reasonable prices if you want to try a used sail- a J-24 has about the same hoist as your Buc, and of course there are plenty of others that are also close. If you want something custom made, I can give you some suggestions for sail lofts. I usually carried two jibs, a full hoist blade that sheeted to the forward end of the jib tracks, and a 150% overlapping jib for speed/light air. I had a roller furler so both were set up with luff tapes and the smaller one with a sun cover. Since your boat has the stock sail plan, your jibs provide much of the upwind power. I think you will enjoy a full size headsail!
    B

redreuben likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.