Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

24-28

Why not just visit the B28 thread and download the free plans ?

2. SharkSailor511

SharkSailor511 Junior Member

I'll see if I can find the B28 plans, but I had read that the B28 was built differently than the B24, and was somewhat more complex...

3. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

maybe bruceb will chime in, there's a 2ft stretched B24 (stretched to 26) in his neck of the woods, looks like all of the 2' is in the cabin, very pretty boat, can barely tell it's not a 24'.
    Bruceb knows the boat very well so I'll leave it to him to expand on the details.

4. Tom.151

Here's the stretched B24

Attached Files:

5. SharkSailor511

That is a nice looking boat... so it seems that it can be done. I wonder if it's 2 inches added to each frame?

6. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

If I were to do it again, I would stretch the boat 2 feet to make the cockpit bigger and move the front crossarms one station forward and extend the cabin forward. Of course the added weight could slow the boat down some. Taller mast?

7. Tom.151

Working from old-brain memory here... but my recollection, from discussion with bruceb, is that the stretch was added in the middle (cabin area).

Also (memory?) the amas were also stretched as well.

FWIW, adding "stretch" anywhere but somewhere between the akas would be a waste of stretch.

Use the B24 plans to figure the weight you'd be adding. For 2' just ahead of the companionway, take off the number of sq ft of paneling involved all the way around the exterior shape. Count the stringers too, and the panel area for the ama -- then multiply your panel area by the ply and glass weight depending on materials you anticipate using.

Then compare that weight to the added displacement you get from the submerged volume of 2' amidships below the waterline. This will give you a rough idea of whether you are adding more weight in materials than you're gaining in added displacement.

As long as you don't make the boat wider (more righting moment) you shouldn't have to worry about beefing up the structure or the ply thicknesses.

I would utilize the 2' so that there's a new separate area fwd of the c'way for a dedicated cooking flat on one side and a nav flat on the other. Having dedicated places for those functions will make the boat very much more livable.

As for keeping up the speed potential- consider simply using a rotating mast and adding a conservative flat-top, full battened mainsail with at least two good reefs..

Cheers,

8. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Freddy and anyone else interested.
    On the Privateer 8.5 that we designed from the Buc 24 base we increased length at the bow mid and aft sections to keep things in balance rather than a chunk in the middle, fore beam was moved forward, aft beam was moved aft increasing cabin length and cockpit length, overall freeboard was increased inline with the fore aft stretch. If you go back through these pages, Gary Baigent, old sailor and Bruceb, Samin (aka green death trap) and others have all discussed with great photo representation how work was undertaken.

As for the Privateer 8.5 we put cooker and sink modules in the cockpit aft of outboard bunks that were included for if not using the double forward. These modules swiveled forward for use and aft for stowage the green tape represented an all weather hatch for ventilation in cabin under the cockpit seats (Cabin on mockup was set up for single handing but wider option was drawn but not mocked up) JFWIW a few photo's to help visualize. The outboard sleeping pods are full size and allow for side sleeping not just on back they also allow for sitting up on inboard side with back rest against companionway bulkhead. Full standing headroom at 6' we also raised the cockpit sole on the single hander and moved cockpit seating outboard.
    Mast, beams, floats, rudders and daggerboard plans are all done just the main hull plan to complete as this is where all the engineering work is.
    Hope this makes sense.
    We will try to find photo's of how the bow was formed on the main hull if anyone interested.
    Team Ezifold

Attached Files:

9. SharkSailor511

Great photos, thanks for that!

10. SharkSailor511

Thanks; good points all around and the cooking area and nav station were exactly what I had in mind.

11. eric e

eric e Junior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  12. eric e

eric e Junior Member

13. eric e

eric e Junior Member

14. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

Thanks for the pics eric e. Nice looking boat.
    nelson

15. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Does anyone know why those pics are deforming my screen and making it too wide?

So I have to use the slider bar at the bottom of thw window to see the right hand side of the page...?? Is this a glitch others are experiencing?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.