Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

that's not too bad for 45foot! keep it cause on end you can go cat or tri! haha

Barry

2. Cleveland

Cleveland Junior Member

Yeah i think its reasonable, They've said they will renovate the marina in the near future for a while too, so hopefully someday it will be nicer, and I'll be grandfathered into the end-tie.

Need someone to buy this boat so I can go to mexico though. Who wants an already built Buc?

3. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I am getting close to time to start building my cabin. I was considering moving the whole cabin forward about 12 inches to make the cockpit bigger, and widening and opening up the foredeck for a double v-berth. I was also going to lower the wings about 8 inches for better seating headroom. Is this a mistake? Any opinions surely appreciated. My main concern is I don't want to add too much weight, but the extra space would be nice.

4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Changes?

Fred, I don't understand how you can get more room by moving the cabin forward. The forward crossbeams go thru at bunk level so extending the cabin roof doesn't make the bunks longer. The 24 needs all the clearance under the wing bottoms, even more would be nice in waves. These are small boats, don't expect too much of them.
    B

5. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Yes, I wondered if that much clearance was needed. I've seen several photos of bucs where the bunk floor was lowered. I was thinking if a double v-berth could be fitted then the main cabin could be smaller and the cockpit lengthened. But that would necessitate raising the deck and widening a little at the front. If the bunks in the main cabin, though shorter so not for sleeping, were lowered, it would make a good sitting area. I believe the 33ft version has a lowered bunk area. If any mods are done I'd want to make sure I don't add much extra weight, also. This is just me thinking out loud and probably when all is said and done I'll end up building it to the plans. But, still, even if it's a thought experiment, I'd like to hear any ideas from anyone.

Fred

6. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

So you want to design yachts?

;) Fred, of course, I also have some thoughts. Just remember, if you change the Buc very much, you are now a test pilot. :)
    Most newer designs have an above the waterline flare starting somewhere near the bow and running lower as it goes aft. On the 24, it would have to be above the water stays, and at about 45 degrees, would just about replace the bottom of the wings. You would certainly have more interior volume, and might get seating headroom, without hurting the sailing very much. The bottoms of the stock wings do hit the water sometimes, if they were much lower, I don't think you would like the results. The flared hull does add flotation (and some drag) in waves, but the forward flare might help prevent stuffing the bow in heavy waves/conditions. Other more recent designs have accepted the compromises of the extra flare.
    If you can keep the extra weight gain to minimums, the boat should still work ok and the reserve volume might even be an improvement.
    I am not sure you would find enough room for a forward double, I don't think there would be enough room up there.
    Even my 33 does not have real sitting head room on the side bunks, although it is close. I will measure it tomorrow. The 24 has sitting head room on the floor (on cushions) for two people, and the cabin actually "feels" roomy. Far better than a typical two man tent.
    Good luck:!:
    B

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Bigger

Fred;
    This is what double bunks and more headroom and accomodation looks like in 24' (Ed Horstman design).
    Fast, comfortable, cheap, pick any two.:)

Attached Files:

8. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Was thinking something like this.

Attached Files:

9. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Or at minimum, like this:

Attached Files:

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Space ship

Fred, Something like the first pic is possible, but you would really have to work at keeping it light. Flaring adds at least 100 lbs to the boat, and that would be about the maximum a B-24 could carry.
    The second pic is a B-33, and under the wings it still has 24" or more to the water. A 24 starts with less than 18" water clearance and uses ALL of it.
    I did measure the height in my 33's wing bunks- about 27" at the middle with no cushion. I think it is pretty comfortable, but not lavish ;) I find you need about 24" to comfortably roll over and about 32"-36" for most people to sit up.
    B

11. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I believe I'll just build it to plans so I can be on the water next summer. Then if I want to modify it I'll do it next winter.

12. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Quick build

Fred, building to the plans is never "wrong", and will probably be a lot faster to finish. You have a very good start, and finishing now should be the fun part.
    Get on the water and start sailing, you will love it :cool:
    B

13. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

OK, but are there any buc owners out there who feel the tilted berths are not the best? Are there any issues with rolling out of bed in the middle of the night? Just seems kinda weird to me.

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Whats this about tilted berths. The plans don't show tilted berths.:?:

15. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

well, according to the plans, the berth bottoms follow the angle of the crosstubes, which are not horizontal by any means. I believe the outboard edge of the wing berths are 3 inches or so higher than the inner edge. Or am I missing something?

Fred

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.