Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Epoxy or resorcinol formaldehyde are in the notes and the instructions for both the floats and the main hull say "nail and glue all edging etc" So seems clear to me.

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Bronze ring nails are great things, the rings and the expanding wood fibers keep them from wicking so no rot risk increase. In fact used with epoxy/ glue the rings catch the glue going in and create a deeper seal.

Good news on the impending hull sheathing. It never hurts to ask questions (too much :)) it is good to go back over plans and instructions as you build for refreshers and in case you missed anything.

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

fastening system

Ring nails AND epoxy together make for a very long lasting and durable structure, and it is definitely what Crowther had in mind. The epoxy used on my 24 did not fail, but some bulkheads had water penetration and had rotted layers, but the ring nails were still holding things together (and were quite hard to extract) :cool:
    B

4. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

5. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Just a note about buc24 building. If I had to do it again I'd build a strongback instead of the way the plans say to put the hull together. I spent a whole lot of time trying to square everything up. A strongback might have made things easier. Though maybe I'm being too anal. Maybe it doesn't matter if it's absolutely perfect to an eighth inch. All I know is I had to do an awful lot of measuring and I still don't think it's perfect, but I started gluing anyway.

6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

suppose worse case you can get a bunch of 2x4s cut to same legths to use as spacers for accurate bulkhead positioning?

Barry

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Freddy;
    I'm a tradesman and I am often guilty of frittering away my profit in the search for perfection. A friend said "perfection is the enemy of good" meaning when a job is good enough to meet the brief the search for perfection ruins it. Maybe that's you too ?

8. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I decided it would be best to just use my eye-crometer. As long as it looks good and floats!

9. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

haha! sounds like my seatofmy-pantsometer.

Barry

10. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Sanity at last. Just go for it.
    When Rick and I built my B24 we installed all the frames in one hour, using quick setting epoxy glue. It was easy with the positions of the frames marked with black marker pen on the inside faces of the skin panels before assembling.:cool:
    Fairing of the gunnel curves was done with nails and string----and a MK1 eye ball. ---Worked for me :D

11. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Building square

Fred, I agree with OS, don't get too bogged down with perfection. Until lasers came into regular use, most boats were off by a LOT more than an 1/8", and most owners never knew the difference.Yes, they often sailed different from one tack to the other, but still ok. Cats and tris do like to have the floats and main hull "about" square with each other, so use your time to get the beams centered and the floats mounted correctly.
    IMO, it takes too much time and materials to build a good square strong back for a boat as simple as a B-24, and it would not help at the critical point of mounting the deck.
    B

12. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Now that the swinging centerboard case is done and installed, I was wondering if there is a good mechanism that would release the down line if the centerboard hits something underwater?

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

On the B28 we had both lines coming back over the cabin top to two plastic Jam Cleats. On the only time we ran aground at speed the line just pulled out of the jam cleat.
    At no time did it pull out under sail otherwise.

14. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Thanks, OS. That's what I needed to know.
    Now that the weather is getting cooler, I've got more time to work on the buc. I'm getting excited about a summer '16 launch! Can't wait to sail an awesome boat! If it's only half as good as people say I'll be ecstatic!

15. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

What is the difference between a sail cut for a mono versus a sail cut for a tri? I'm going to have to buy sails for mine so it would be nice to be familiar with the differences.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.