Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Save the napkin! Haha

Barry

2. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Oh and ever get the single swinging beam thing worked out in your head yet? I think there's some serious merrit in that one.

Barry

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Yes, well just following my nose - also re designing while lying in the bath in deepest contemplation (all seems very clear there - but next morning, doubts arrive, ha).
    No, seriously, has to be very simple and it WILL work. Latest thought is to mount the mast male bearing on top of the main beam bearing cap, double assembly laminated solid to make one unit with epoxy/glass - and the main swivelling bearing will be locked underneath the beam on the double ring frame unit. Earlier thinking was that mast base and beam should be separate. So how's that for progress?

4. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Well I meant napkin cause you said Sid was drawn on a napkin. But I feel for ya! Cause I'm working through jobs I have to do in my sleep! And a friend, who is a cement contractor jack hammers in his sleep! Lol drives his wife crazy. What about an decagon pivot in your beam swing? It would get you 90 degree on out position then 70 degree-ish swept in. In that scenario you just need a pivot ball for mast with a large seat that covers decagon, and you just lift it up over shape and turn to new position, then drop it down. Enough thread it wouldn't have to come off even, just go up enough to allow pivot.

Barry

5. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Course I'm thinking this in a single beam setup.

Barry

6. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Are we getting off topic here? Buc content: This evening I rolled a coat of primer on one hull. Looks good! I'm using evercoat featherfill polyester primer.

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Yes, we should take this across to the 6.5 -7.5 thread. But your decagon suggestion is a good one. In fact it could be a square. Cheers.

8. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Primer on one hull, portholes done on the other.

Attached Files:

9. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Fred
    Nice steady progress.
    Quality of work looks good, just watch weight it is the enemy.
    Regards

Craig and team Ezifold

10. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

I agree, quality of work looks excellent. Nice fair seams, lovely.
    nelson

11. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Looking good!

Barry

12. Cleveland

Cleveland Junior Member

new buc 24 owner! dagger board trunk repair

Ive wanted to build one of these for a few years now, and last weekend I was lucky enough to buy one! I am so excited to get out on the water, do some coastal camping and generally rip it up on SF bay.

The previous owners had all done great jobs maintaining and upgrading the boat. I got it for an incredible deal because the previous owner was adamant that ig go to someone who would love it as much as he did, and i hope to live up to it!

However it is in the yard right now because it struck an underwater obstruction at speed. the dagger board blew up, so i need to make a new one. the rudder is damaged, so i need to make a new one. and the dagger board case was damaged and needs to be repaired.

I am trying to deicide the best way to fix the DB trunk, and am considering just replacing the whole box. I don't have a lot of time to get this done as the 50$ a day yard fee is adding up! Luckily i have some plans from OS7 the previous owner bought. So should i try and replace the whole box? or go for a limited section localized to the damage? maybe just the back strip?

Im still working on reading the whole thread, but i wanted to put this out there to see if anybody had some good advice.

sorry for the pics being so big, i don't know how to resize them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Buccaneer 24 dagger & case repair.

Hi Cleveland.
    How great to see the trim shape of a B24 again in your lovely pic.:D
    Kalona may be the only B24 where the original owner lowered the berth area.
    If you can repair the box in situ then it would probably be the easiest way.
    If not then you should take the old box (and shelf ) out completely.
    Clean up the area, then put in a new VERTICAL box with a new dagger to fit.
    Instructions for this are back a way in this thread complete with Dwgs.
    The athwartship supports for the new box will make a very nice seat--- and you can build a nice new galley at frame 4.
    See page 123 Post 1844.

14. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

A b24 right under my nose and I missed it! Haha looks in good shape too!

Barry

15. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

As for repair listen Os he' lol tell ha better than anyone! just looking it seems like not terrible a bonk. Sides look more like the were ripped from lamination, back wall looks a bit torn up though. I would think even just dropping a new back wall in would get you a clean repair and give you a look at keel at that edge to make sure it isn't starting to split from dagger board strike. Where's the boat now?

Barry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.