Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

We'll I know the veil is it holds a lot of epoxy making for a heavy layup, comes out smooth, but heavy. And it's kinda a side step cause adds has no structural addition to the layup.

Barry

2. Headharbor

Headharbor Junior Member

Mclennon1001, i sent you a PM. I switched my water stays from flat bars to wire rigging. You can have the flat bar if you want it. I also have standing rigging for a stock rig. I switched to a vertical dagger board trunk, happy with that, but there is the risk of grounding... a cb would be nice to pop up.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes there are many Pros & Cons about CBs vs Daggers.
    In my personal experience I had a Dagger in my B24 and a Centreboard in my B28.
    Both were good, but the centreboard had more advantages.
    It was controlled by two lines leading back to the cockpit from the base of the mast. The lines terminated in plastic jam cleats at back edge of the cabin top.
    The lines were marked with waterproof marker pen for the different points of sail, as required.
    Going aground, the down line simply pulled out of the jam cleat and the board pivoted up.
    With the board set down and forward of vertical, the boat would not sail under any sail configuration.
    This was very useful, because in a race one could sit hove to, a few metres back of the start line with full sail up, ready for the gun. Ten seconds before the start you pulled the board back, sheeted in the sails and rocketed over the start line. Worked well for me. :cool:

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Veil/tissue

Precisely why I am considering a kevlar veil over straight epoxy, I think perhaps on the main hull at least Sglass externally below the waterline would be prudent.

5. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

Centerboard? Not me. In fact better even to go to the vertical daggerboard that OS7 is going to release to plan set owners.

Water stays? Would not be overly brave to use SK75/85-type synthetic rigging there.

Rigging & anchor points? You can use all (glass/kevlar/carbonfiber) substitutes for chainplates, mounting points (like water stays), etc Think of it a wooden boat without the holes and bolts needed just to attach all of the the rigging & hardware! That's like 1000% less rot to repair later on. Consider a rotating mast 'before' you start your build.

There are now lots of ways to eliminate heavy/metal/bolted-on hardware - like the commercial Ropeye product -- and it's now pretty easy, using the wealth of info available about soft rigging, to make your own substitutes very inexpensively. Soft shackles, synthetic padeyes, the list goes on .... it's no more difficult than a bit of knitting while you relax at night watching TV ;)

Buy the best materials - it's the smallest long-term cost.

Good luck, invite us over to help,

Attached Files:

6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Very interesting, was thinking half way through reading that there has to be some form of cf or cf/nylon infused alternatives out there for rigging.

Barry

7. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Further test mule updates over in the usual place as we eagerly await cad plans completion for the beams to start building tomorrow. Watch this space as things finally start to happen on the building front.

8. outside the box

It has begun finally. https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr
    First lot of plans sent. Thanks must go to all the work firstly Os7 has done to keep this design alive and also everyone else who have just got out there and done it in the Buc 24 or variants of be that build sail race or thrash.... enjoy :)

9. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Very cool! And was that float ripped apart for stations alone, or will it get rebuilt back with new mods?

Barry

10. outside the box

Was a result of slipping it's mooring in a Dunedin Southerly storm and ending up on rocks. We won't rebuild them will be a give away when we are finished to the person who gets a plan set when we are done with them.

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Tom 151.
    The Buccaneer 28 has wire rigged water stays.
    So there is no reason that it can't, be done on the B24.

12. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

OS7
    -- yup, had ss-wire waterstays on my Twiggy too, so I believe you :)

Do you for see any reason that replacing ss-wire with a synthetic such as an SK75 or dux would be any kind of problem? (assuming the connections are all done properly)

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Yes, I am not very confident that the plastic fibre alternatives are able to resist UV and weather types of degradation. Stainless steel has proved very reliable.

14. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I have very nearly finished my drawing of an alternative vertical daggerboard for the stock Buccaneer 24. When I have scanned it I will put it up on this thread so any one can print it out A4 and use it.
    However it is not Rocket Science and any of you who have access to B24 plan sheet 3 can visualise it by looking at the trapezoid shaped board box as shown, rotating it clockwise until it becomes a rectangle and then moving the rectangle to the right until it butts up against frame #5,---- and there's your new board case.
    Of course there's more to it than that, but that's the basis of it. :cool:

15. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Is this ala 28 style or something new?

Barry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.