Buccaneer 24 Builders Forum

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by oldsailor7, Jul 22, 2009.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Paddy,

Glad you got out, and I pray there is a whole home for you to return to.

wayne

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Thanks Wayne.
    Tomorrow is going to be the "Turning Point" where things are going to get better----or perhaps not. Hot temps and 40kt winds are forecast. The fire chief here says only two days of heavy rain would put out the fires. Otherwise they just have to be contained and left to burn out.

3. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Here's to hoping Paddy! I saw a story where they said the Oz military might have started some of that bonfire. Operation marshmellow toast?! Take care and watch out for hot spots.

4. cruiserpete

cruiserpete Junior Member

Thanks, feeling better.
    Member on Trailer Sailer Place just informed me of TT680 for ssale but need finishing as it's under going a refurbishment so not sure I want another 'project' ... I just want to get on the water sailing...plus need to sell my Investigator or I'll end up with 2 Trailer Sailers and can only really afford 1

5. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Paddy,

I pray it is cooling off enough tonight, and the winds dying down to slow it, that tomorrow will not be the beast they think it will become .....

Firestorms are not fun.

wayne

6. Sleepingsadhu

Sleepingsadhu Junior Member

Yes, absolutely.

7. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Bruce's 24

I wasn't as active as I hoped to be this past season- I sort of used up my body and had to get a hip replacement recently, but nothing unexpected and the hip is doing great. I am still catching up on everything I put off at the end of the sailing season. I did purchase a used Buc 33 in September, dismantled it and I am now refreshing it and adding a folding system with new cross beams. 33s are big- but it should be fun next year.
    I have not sold my 24, but I should! I can't keep up with two boats. I am helping do some mods/repairs on the "B-26" and I will post details as I can get back doing things.
    B

8. oldsailor

oldsailor Junior Member

Bruce.
    Glad your hip replacement went well.
    I too have been in hospital for a week.
    Had some bleeding from where the sun don't shine and had to have a blood transfusion. Ok now though. Don't have access to my PC for another two weeks so can only make contact when I can bum some time on my daughters laptop. Glad you are able to make headway with Paul Webbs Robbinox B33.

9. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Stay healthy

Patrick, lets both stay out of the hospitals:cool:
    Yes, I don't see any real issues to making "Robbinox" the first folding B-33- I think a very nice upgrade to an already good boat. I look forward to using its increased mobility:)
    Bruce

10. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I think the Scarab solution is a good one. Ray Kendrick's boats seem well thought out for the homebuilder.

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Just managed to bum a few mins on the wifes laptop. Great to see how well Dona did on Spindrift 2. Must be great to have a few mils to burn.
    I just wish Ian Oatley would see that video and get the message. Fastest sailboat in the world and no diesel engine. :eek:

12. SkipperGS

SkipperGS Junior Member

I'm a new boy here. I bought a B24 (No 215) recently in Rio which needs some TLC.
    Job List:
    1 - Replace battery and sound system - OK
    2 - Fit Barbeque - OK (it was ready for Hogmanay)
    3 - Fit folding boarding ladder (in progress)
    4 - Find a way to free the centreboard so that I don't have to dive overboard to shift it!
    5 - Change out present Yamaha short shaft 4hp for a long shaft 6-8hp (searching)
    6 - Replace present 'trampolines' with woven webbing as on original plans.

It's with No. 6 that I could do with some guidance! The plans that came with the boat were very tattered and incomplete. I need to determine how many meters of webbing are needed for each side. Too little will create joint problems and too much will make for a huge lump to pass through the weave! I could make a scaled PC model to take measurements but there must be someone out there who knows the answer!
    I'm using light aluminium tubing to frame the insides, fwd and aft. These can then be tensioned with lacing. An outer horizontal stay completes the rectangle. An inflatable should allow me to work afloat IF I can stop it dancing about!

13. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

If you have the plans, however battered, you can scale off the rectangular space for the nets from sheet 7, which is a scaled drawing.

14. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Old Bucs

Skipper, if you can, try to post a couple of pictures of your boat. There seems to be quite a lot of "variations" of a Buc 24. Most of them have been rebuilt several times over the last 30-40 years, and changes get made. The cross beams are usually 10 feet apart fore and aft on center, but the width varies with the attachment system at the cabin side and the float, and may not be as drawn on the plans.
    I think the straps are a good choice, but since the Buc was designed, better nets have also been developed. My mesh nets are over 10 years old, are still in pretty good shape, and are very comfortable. I think they were made by "Sunrise" in Florida, but the material is also available.
    Good luck with your new boat. :cool:
    B

15. SkipperGS

SkipperGS Junior Member

Trampolines

I only have sheets 3 and 6 which also need urgent repairs! Perhaps the way forward is just to take a couple of photos from above and add accurate measurements to the image using MS Visio as I did in the past for some repairs to a previous 37ft catamaran.

You can see by the images that the floats are set lower than normal. The advantage is that she has a quieter roll when stopped! But she probably loses pick-up speed when on the move with the extra drag.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.