Bubbles- Can they cause structural issues or just a cosmetic problem?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Dec 11, 2020.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hi guys, I don't like mixing the epoxy with a stick so I built a little jig to mix it with a drill. Even on the lowest speed it causes a lot of bubbles in the epoxy. When I apply the epoxy to the wood surface with a paintbrush, they all seem to have gone away. But it leads me to wonder...can bubbles cause structural issues? Or are they mainly a cosmetic problem? Is it worth it to mix by hand instead of a with a drill to avoid bubbles?

Thanks for any advice or tips, I really appreciate all the amazing members of this forum!

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

All okay. Bubbles are trouble for infusion. I don't like mixing with power tools because there is too much cleanup/loss.

3. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Thanks fallguy! I'm a little confused how mixing with power tools causes more cleanup/loss?

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Well, not sure what kind of tool you are using, but a popsickle stick or tongue depresser cleans up with almost zero epoxy loss.

You will find yourself making lots of batches of epoxy 3-12 ounces in a build and using a power tool is simply not needed.

Most epoxies are easily made airborne with vigorous stirring. Be careful about ingesting or inhaling any epoxy bubbles. They float in the air. I am not fully against mechanical stirring. Many polyester resins really require it, but with epoxy; you can generally see the mixing happening in the bucket.

My hands get sore mixing fillers into epoxy of the sticks are so small my whole hand can't grab. I also get sore hands waxing and dewaxing the vac table. I am now using a waxing machine to dewax.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.