New York harbor closed to recreational boaters on New Years because of Terrist Threat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guest, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

http://www.boating-industry.com/news.asp?mode=4&N_ID=37130

http://www.msnbc.com/news/853238.asp?0sl=-31&cp1=1

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

If it makes you feel any better, Our habour artea was closed to recreational craft over the Xmas / New year period too......
    Personally I think that closing the Hobart (Tasmania, Australia) was taking things just a little too far....!:mad:

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

There are other threats out there to which we must all remain alert.: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/russia-bans-eu-vegetables-over-e-coli-eu-095745372.html

"The outbreak is causing severe infections, mostly in female adults, and in a number of cases, serious complications affecting the blood and kidneys. Haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS), an unusual complication of some types of E.coli, has been diagnosed in hundreds of the cases."

....because women eat more salad.

4. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Blaming ehec on cucumber, sallad and tomatoes is dated. The current information is that bean sprouts is the most likely carrier of the ehec bacteria. Between cucumber and bean sprouts there were som speculations that rare meat could be the carrier.

My immediate action to keep safe is to continue not eating bean sprouts.

Erik

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Sounds reasonable to me. I knew there was a reason I haven't been eating them...

Years ago when I worked on sets in Hollywood, an upscale catering outfit used to come around. Instead of pulling a roach coach into the parking lot and opening it up, the gals drove up in vans or cars and carried wicker baskets of food and drink into the offices. Among the offerings were avocado sandwiches piled with bean sprouts (or alfalfa sprouts) and cream cheese--on various whole-grain breads you could crack a tooth eating, if you weren't careful.

To this day I still ask myself, "why, Lord, why? Why would anyone do that to a poor, defenseless avocado?":(

6. hoytedow

The info was the most current I had available at the time, but what it(e coli) is on is less important than the virulence of the strain. Whether it was on cukes or bean sprouts, what was the source of this "super-bug"? How was it introduced to the food? Who, if anyone, engineered it?

7. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

Bacteria and viruses mutate all the time so there's no need to believe anyone has engineered this strain. Actually, they have to mutate or we and other hosts would be immune to them and they would die out. How the bean sprouts (if this latest information still is valid) came to get infected will hopefully be sorted out. I understand that cattle can carry the bacteria without being ill, so the reason could be that infected manour was used as fertilisers.

The reason we get world-wide effects so quickly can be attributed to the modern way of living, with massproduction of food and world wide travelling. Anyway, the disease seems to be contained now.

Erik

8. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

Kids, how did you get from harbou being closed because of a fake terrorist threat in new yourk to another panic attack, in europe...?

While we are at it, let us remember that e.coli spreads in humans only one way: from dreck (german for faeces) to mouth.

Whch points at several unhigienic practices: first, the scum that handles your food use their bare hands to wipe their holes; second, the same scum is not washing their hands and vegetables put in sandwiches, and third, which people and religious group use bare hand instead of paper (and do not wash their hands after the service) in the toilet?

Will stop short of saying what Deutche Welle have already published, to avoid being called a racist for telling the facts...

Look it up, they had it in their satellite TV news last week. Funny and worrisome at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, I'll be damned. I had no idea that the typical farm worker in Germany (and the rest of the world) is a piece of unhygienic Muslim scum, who wipes his butt with water instead of paper.... which makes him (or her) personally responsible for any outbreaks of E coli in the western world.

Ain't it amazing what you can learn on the internet?

10. hoytedow

Amazing.

11. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

troy, you should have looked it up before coming out of the closet.

While there are farm workers in Germany of description you gave, the story is slightly more complex...

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Not according to the version you gave...;)

13. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

And which version would that be?

As always, reading things no one wrote... You think it would be the time to start paying a tad more of attention to what people write before you make comments?

;)

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You think maybe it would be time to take ownership of the crap you write, instead of berating people for interpreting it exactly the way you meant it?

15. masrapido

masrapido Junior forever

I think it's long overdue that you take up your own advice and follow it for a change.

It would be a refreshing change, but given your relentless runaway style, I will remain hopeful only.

:eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.