Bruce Roberts Waverunner 85

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by steveweldalot, Sep 6, 2014.

1. steveweldalot

steveweldalot New Member

hi i looking at building a waverunner 75 and i have worked out the cost of the steel and the time i would need to get it all welded i will be working from the plains and cutting the steel myself and doing all the welding if it all go's to plan i should get the welding done in 4 years + and then the hard work will start just wanted to find someone that is working on the same sort of project

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Have you built smaller boats before?
    Most people greatly underestimate the difficulty and costs of a boat this size. An example is the equipment necessary to move everything on a larger scale, wages and healthcare, wage loss from the extra years it takes - and it will - etc. When you finish the hull then the work and expense begins all over for the fitout and will be even greater than what came before.

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Without wanting to be rude, if you are basing the economic decision just on the cost of the steel and the welding, you obviously have zero experience in large boat building.

For a mental exercise, just factor in the engines, paint, electrical gear - that will surpass the cost of the steel hull be a huge margin.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The welding of the hull and deck is the easier and faster part of the project. Interior fitting, wiring, mechanical installations, rigging, upholstery and deck hardware take more time and expense. If you think it will be four years to weld, try to estimate the time for the rest for a realistic expectation.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The hull shell cost on a project of this size and complexity, will amount to about 15% (probably less) of the total effort and cost outlay for the build, so evaluate your resources carefully. Most of the professionals here have been involved with projects of this size and bigger, so do you have specific questions? As a backyard build, this would be way out of the ability of the average person to undertake, simply too ambitious to take seriously. You must have some special abilities and resources available, not to mention transportation to the water.

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I assume you have land,equipment a large barn, money,talent,stubbornness, etc
    -does it really need to be that large?
    -the Roberts look good in computer generated images but in actual life are not as nice.
    -all the time spent,you could be working and just buy one?

A guy built an 85' Roberts in my area about 10 years ago and it was...well.. I've seen many nicer looking vessels. In fact it's the one on Robert's webpage.
    IIRC under 100 tons..so $100k++ in steel alone?

Just painting the thing could well cost $50-70k.

Perhaps it is your dream to build such a thing,that's fine but there are a lot of older Euro steel yachts for sale for very cheap:

Buy for the price of the steel and engines,and fix things as you have the time:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Tecnavi-80-2700442/Ionion-sea/Greece#.VAyvBkCa_7U

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1970/Vennekens-Steel-Displacement-23m-2482147/Greece#.VAyvcUCa_7U

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

9. JSL

JSL Senior Member

All the previous posts have nailed the issue but I will pass along my 2 bits worth anyway.
    I assisted (supplied drawings, details & info) a professional builder with a WR 85 (aluminum) who had lots of very skilled employees. If you are doing this boat by yourself, have no boat building experience, but want a top grade job, I suggest you allow at least 20 years before launching.

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

IIRC Roberts wanted about $5k for the plans.

If you are hoping to build your own,may I suggest one of the many designers on this site? You may pay more but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing,and you'll get a name behind you which will be better than Roberts,and it will be at least be more sellable if you need to rid yourself of it.

Interior can be done cheap and quick with plywood,paint,battery LED lights,sleeping on a foamy,and buckets for any water use....

RHP if it's in Turkey stuff can be done cheaper,but I'd guess the price of the interior is pretty much the value of the boat.

11. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

The CEO of our shipyard used to say "We always make money on steel, but outfit eats our lunch".

12. JSL

JSL Senior Member

This is the WR85 I was involved with. Design was originally 75' but builder suggested adding a 10' extension/cockpit to permit a conventional engine/shaft installation rather than V-Drive. Turned out to be a good move since the boat trimmed by the stern: Without the extension it would have been even more. Builder did a great job.
    Boat ran well - 2 round trips Vancouver/San Diego. I drew up some high lift rudders and the skipper said the stern thruster was seldom needed.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.