Stainless rigging wire swage testing

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Steelboat, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Steelboat

Steelboat Junior Member

An old surveyor described his rigging wire test to me. He clamps the rigging wire with a pair of VISE-GRIP pliers, and locks the swage with a spanner or screwdriver, and twists the wire "gently". Any broken strands in the swage will pop loose.

Has anyone with professional rigging experience heard of this test?

I said I would never put a pair of hardened steel pliers to the rigging wire for any reason, but he is convinced the test is worth it. There will surely be some damage to the wire unless protected with leather or cloth (which he does not use). Stainless wire is definitely softer than hardened steel vise grip jaws, winner is clear, worth it or not?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is a ridiculous test. He is damaging the rigging.

3. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

It isn't ridiculous if he finds damage, he saves a potential dismasting. On the other hand if he damages some of the wires so they are weakened and go ping, the mast comes down anyway...

I have worked around riggers, shipwrights, chandlerys and marinas since the early 1980s and never heard of this test, and I'd suggest that you could check it safer by placing a transverse load on the stay just above the swage with your foot.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He may cause the dismasting by damagind the strands. If gentle twisting (whatever that translates into a torque value) is enough to "pop loose" the strands, they were already almost completely fractured. A jewler's loupe would certainly show the cracks. Also, how does he examine the strands that in the inside? They would not "pop loose".

5. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

Gonzo you probably didn't read my comment as I'm actively trying to reduce my footprint and live a good life for a circumnavigation.

The OP was referring to this surveyor twisting the wire rope looking for broken strands within the swage and I have never seen or heard of such a test being performed during a pre-purchase survey. If all amateur boat owners followed appropriate maintenance schedules rigging would be changed at chronological intervals and be less problematic.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.